Dark Comedy Lie With Me from Charter Theater and Mutineer Theatre Company
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Lie With Me have expired.
The last date listed for Lie With Me was Sunday November 22, 2009 / 3:00pm.
Currently at Theatre on the Run:
- Full Price:
- $25.00 - $35.00
- Our Price:
- $5.00 - $15.00
The young nobleman Orlando falls asleep one day only to wake and find himself in the throes of a surprising transformation in this erotic romp through the centuries. Adapted for the stage by MacArthur Fellow Sarah Ruhl, Virginia Woolf's 1928 masterpiece Orlando, based in part on the life of Woolf's lover, Vita Sackville-West, has been described as "the most charming love letter in literature." Ruhl brings her trademark blend of feminism and fantasy to Woolf's gender-bending tale, which follows Orlando's adventures spanning 300 years. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Greg H
view more less of this review
I wouldn't call "Lie With Me" a comedy, but it sure is dark. The story is disturbing, and some late revelations make it even more awkward, but this play is a good excursion into a taboo subject. I commend the actors for getting into their characters, no matter how difficult the scene or dialogue, and really giving passionate deliveries. The minimal stage props and changes added to the inwardness of this distraught, combative and torn family. There is a lot of anger and pity to go around, and the audience feels it. But don't fret! There are some laughs, and the end does provide some closure.
Quotes & Highlights
- "PICK OF THE WEEK... a pitch-perfect ensemble and a splendid design team deftly serve" Back Stage
- "GO. An impressive debut...the performances are truer than true." --<em>LA Weekly </em>
- "...a challenging piece of drama from a daring new theatre company." --<em>Tolucan Times </em>
- "All of the actors are exceptional. Exceedingly well staged by Joe Banno" --<em>LA Theatre Review </em>
- "A very powerful study of a crisis..." --<em>Reviewplays.com</em>
- "...intensely acted... a gruesome family smash-up." --<em>LA Times</em>
- Read <a target="_blank" href="http://www.goldstar.com/events/los-angeles-ca/lie-with-me.html">Goldstar member reviews</a> from the premiere of <em>Lie With Me</em> at the Art|Works Theatre.
Directed by Jon Cohn. A co-production with Mutineer Theatre Company. Lie with Me was Mutineer Theatre Company's inaugural production. This world premiere, written by Keith Bridges in collaboration with company members, opened in March, 2009. The piece is a frank and oddly comic story about people who can't seem to help the damage that they inflict upon one another. A lifetime of discretion and collusion is exposed as the family matriarch falls ill. The turmoil unleashed provides a psychologically sexual account of complicity on a scale that leaves no one untouched. The play deals with mature themes and subject matter.
About the Ticket Supplier: Charter TheatreCharter Theatre is committed to serving as the Washington area's only theater devoted solely to the development and production of new plays. Since 1998, Charter has produced an average of three new plays a year, nearly a dozen of which have been nominated for Helen Hayes Awards.
Charter was one of 12 theaters named by American Theater magazine as being "hot, hip and on the verge" and credited with helping to shape the country's theatrical future.
Charter Theatre strives to produce new works that make you think, make you laugh and make you look at the world or a long-held belief in a new way.