FELA! Award-Winning Broadway Musical at the Murphy Fine Arts Center
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for FELA! have expired.
The last date listed for FELA! was Sunday May 20, 2012 / 7:30pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $65.00 - $75.00
- Our Price:
- $39.00 - $52.50
This Christmas Celebration stars some of the biggest names in gospel, including Marvin, Carvin and BeBe Winans, Marvin Sapp, Fred Hammond, Ledisi, Tamela Mann, Israel Houghton and four-time Grammy-nominated group Commissioned. Add to this list of vocal talent a cast of over 200 live animals, a laser light show and amazing special effects. It's the perfect time of year to pump up your joy and happiness at this Broadway-style musical spectacular making its home in the D.C.-Baltimore area. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
I'm a huge Fela fan and have been for years so if nothing else I loved the music. But beyond that, the lead who played Fela had some serious charisma in the role and had an incredibly strong voice. Fela's mother and Sandra, the American muse were also amazing. The energy of the dancers got people dancing in their seats and the djembe drummer, while also being very easy on the eyes (none of the guys really wear shirts if that's your thing), busted out some skills on that drum that spoke to his years of training. It's a great show with super cast and I would even go see it again if I had time!
Quotes & Highlights
- Check out the official FELA! website for videos and more.
- Read the stellar Goldstar member reviews for this production's Los Angeles run, or check out the reviews of the show in Washington.
- "The hot (and seriously cool) energy that comes from the musical gospel preached by the title character of FELA! feels as if it could stretch easily to the borders of Manhattan and then across a river or two. There should be dancing in the streets!" --Ben Brantley, The New York Times
- "FELA! Is as rowdy as it is rousing. (It) is one of the most original and exciting shows to come around in a long while." --New York Daily News
- "There's enough energy in the first act of FELA! to short circuit Con Ed. It spills over from the stage and into the orchestra seats. Boundless and joyous: This is as close as Broadway gets to fully immersive theatre." --New York Post
- "Bill T. Jones's wildly loose-limbed journey into the throbbing heart of Afrobeat breaks bold new ground in musical theatre." --Variety
- “ ... the most exuberant musical I’ve seen this season. ... the fusion of his (Fela’s) sound is rapturously celebrated with a pinwheel parade of pelvises.” --Los Angeles Times
FELA! is a new musical directed and choreographed by Tony Award-winner Bill T. Jones, in which audiences are welcomed into the extravagant, decadent and rebellious world of Afro-beat legend Fela Anikulapo Kuti. Using his pioneering music (a blend of jazz, funk, and African rhythm and harmonies), FELA! explores Kuti’s controversial life as an artist, political activist and revolutionary musician. The musical won three Tony Awards in 2010.
About the Ticket Supplier: Murphy Fine Arts Center
The Murphy Fine Arts Center (MFAC) is Baltimore’s most modern venue replete with contemporary, state-of-the-art facilities for members of the performing and visual arts communities to showcase their talents. MFAC’s performance spaces ably accommodate performers and productions who play to ’thousands" at a time-and-to acts who prefer the intimate settings of studio theatre or recital hall venues.