Art, Empathy and Everyday Life in Gentle Comedy Body Awareness
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Body Awareness have expired.
The last date listed for Body Awareness was Saturday November 20, 2010 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts:
- Full Price:
- $35.00 - $40.00
- Our Price:
- $17.50 - $20.00
Bridge Rep's immersive and intimate cabaret-style production of the musical Hello Again follows 10 nameless but recognizable types of characters through 10 sexually intimate scenes of intense pleasure and/or emotional pain throughout the 10 decades of the 20th century. Inspired by the controversial play La Ronde, which explored sexual morals in the late 19th century, Michael John LaChiusa's update was nominated for a number of Drama Desk Awards in its initial Off-Broadway run -- in fact, the total was lucky number 10. Bridge Repertory Theater of Boston is in the midst of its first successful season, and has already been recognized with several nominations from the Independent Reviewers of New England. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Read about Annie Baker’s trilogy of <a target="_blank" href="http://shirleyvtplays.com/">Shirley, VT plays</a>.
- Read an <a target="_blank" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/theater/25mcge.html">interview</a> with Annie Baker.
- "[<em>Body Awareness</em> offers] much more than just laughs. [It’s] the deepest and richest of the Shirley, VT plays, and features a quartet of outstanding performers” --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2010/10/26/body_awareness_explores_tension_and_tenderness_alongside_art_and_academia/"><em>Boston Globe</em></a>
- “[Playwright Annie] Baker should thank SpeakEasy Stage Company for what they have done with her play… Four flawless performances make this such a delight… Even in the world of live theater, this kind of synchronistic magic is a rare treat to behold.” --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.metro.us/boston/entertainment/article/672604--company-one-speakeasy-and-huntington-make-us-lovermont--page0"><em>Boston Metro</em></a>
- “<em>Body Awareness</em> is the most conventional of the Shirley, VT plays, and the most overtly entertaining” --<a target="_blank" href="http://thephoenix.com/Boston/arts/110514-review-annie-bakers-circle-mirror-transformation/?page=2#TOPCONTENT"><em>Boston Phoenix</em></a>
"Body Awareness Week" on a Vermont college campus is the setting for this smart and touching new comedy about ordinary people grasping for connection. When Phyllis, the organizer, and her partner Joyce agree to house one of the event's guest artists, a controversial photographer famous for his female nudes, a firestorm erupts that could break apart their nontraditional family.
Annie Baker grew up in Amherst, Massachusetts. Her full-length plays include Body Awareness (Atlantic Theater Company, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle nominations for Best Play/Emerging Playwright), Circle Mirror Transformation (Playwrights Horizons, OBIE Award for Best New American Play, Drama Desk nomination for Best Play), The Aliens (Rattlestick Playwrights Theater, OBIE Award for Best New American Play), The End of the Middle Ages (commission for Soho Rep) and Nocturama Her work has also been developed and produced at the Bush Theatre in London, New York Theatre Workshop, MCC, Soho Rep, the Orchard Project, the Ontological-Hysteric, Ars Nova, the Huntington, South Coast Rep, Victory Gardens, Theatre Artaud, the Magic Theater, the Cape Cod Theatre Project, the Bay Area Playwrights Festival and the Sundance Institute Theatre Lab in Utah and Ucross, Wyoming. Annie is a member of New Dramatists, MCC's Playwrights Coalition and EST, and an alumna of Youngblood, Ars Nova's Play Group and the Soho Rep Writer/Director Lab. Recent honors include a New York Drama Critics Circle Award, a Susan Smith Blackburn Prize nomination, a Lilly Award, a Time Warner Storytelling Fellowship, a MacDowell Fellowship and commissions from Center Theatre Group and Playwrights Horizons. MFA, Mac Wellman's playwriting program at Brooklyn College.
About the Ticket Supplier: SpeakEasy StageOver the past nineteen seasons, SpeakEasy Stage Company has distinguished itself as Boston's premier theater staging Boston premieres. Year after year, SpeakEasy has won acclaim for presenting top-quality productions of vital, cutting-edge plays.
Recently, SpeakEasy was singled out by Variety, the entertainment newspaper, as a force in regional theater and a champion of small, often overlooked musicals.