FELA! Award-Winning Broadway Musical Now in Boston
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for FELA! have expired.
The last date listed for FELA! was Sunday May 6, 2012 / 7:30pm.
Currently at Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College:
- Full Price:
- $79.00 - $89.00
- Our Price:
- $48.00 - $54.00
For the first time since their collaboration on the internationally acclaimed War Horse, Tom Morris' UK-based Bristol Old Vic and Handspring Puppet Company reunite for Shakespeare's irresistible A Midsummer Night's Dream. In this re-imagined version of the classic romantic comedy, it's not just the lovers, foes and fairies who are spellbound -- trees, objects and tools all pulse with the possibility of coming to life as well in a future primitive world, thanks to the magic of Handspring and a brilliant company of actors. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Check out the official FELA! <a target="_blank" href="http://www.felaonbroadway.com">website</a> for videos and more.
- Read the stellar <a target="_blank" href="http://www.goldstar.com/events/los-angeles-ca/fela?reviews=all#reviews">Goldstar member reviews</a> for this production's Los Angeles run.
- "The hot (and seriously cool) energy that comes from the musical gospel preached by the title character of <em>FELA! </em>feels as if it could stretch easily to the borders of Manhattan and then across a river or two. There should be dancing in the streets!" --Ben Brantley, <em>The New York Times </em>
- "<em>FELA</em><em>!</em> Is as rowdy as it is rousing. (It) is one of the most original and exciting shows to come around in a long while." --<em>Daily News </em>
- "There's enough energy in the first act of <em> FELA!</em> to short circuit Con Ed. It spills over from the stage and into the orchestra seats. Boundless and joyous: This is as close as Broadway gets to fully immersive theatre." --<em>New York Post </em>
- "Bill T. Jones's wildly loose-limbed journey into the throbbing heart of Afrobeat breaks bold new ground in musical theatre." --<em>Variety </em>
- “ ... the most exuberant musical I’ve seen this season. ... the fusion of his (Fela’s) sound is rapturously celebrated with a pinwheel parade of pelvises.” --<em>Los Angeles Times</em>
A triumphant tale of courage, passion and love FELA! is the true story of Kuti, who created a type of music, Afrobeat, and mixed these pounding eclectic rhythms(a blend of jazz, funk, and African rhythm and harmonies) with incendiary lyrics that opening attacked the corrupt and oppressive military dictatorships that rule Nigeria amd much of Africa. Featuring many of Fela Kuti’s most captivating songs and Bill T.Jones’s visionary staging FELA! reveals Kuti’s controversial life as an artist and political activist and celebrates his pioneering music.
Olivier and Tony nominated actor Sahr Ngaujah will lead the cast of FELA!. He is joined by Melanie Marshall and Paulette Ivory, who co-starred with Ngaujah in the Olivier-nominated Royal National Theatre production.
FELA! premiered off-Broadway in September of 2008 and won the Lucille Lortel Award for Best Musical before transferring to Broadway in November 2009 where its accolades included three 2010 Tony Awards including one for Best Choreography. Bill T. Jones also received the Astaire Award for Best Choreographer of the year in addition to this country’s most prestigious award, The Kennedy Center Honors.
This show is recommended for those ages 14 and older, and runs 2 hours and 30 minutes, with a 20-minute intermission.