Wrestling Comedy The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity have expired.
The last date listed for The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity was Saturday August 25, 2012 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman, the creators of the Tony Award-winning musical Assassins, turn their attention to the westernization of Japan. This challenging period in Japanese history is told through the story of two friends caught in the inevitable winds of change. Mixing elements of Kabuki theater with the conventions of the Broadway musical, this is one of Sondheim's lesser known works, and a chance to see it performed is a treat. Pacific Overtures is a featured event of the Boston University College of Fine Arts Keyword Initiative, now in its third year. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
I wish the play lived up to expectations. The acting is excellent. The play leaves something to be desired. The first act really drags. Too many long monologues. The second act is better, more action. The message comes across too strongly. It is shoved down your throat. Problem is the writing, not the acting. I would not recommend.
Quotes & Highlights
- Come early to enjoy live wrestling pre-show matches, courtesy of Chaotic Wrestling, on Thursday performances: August 2nd, 9th and 16th.
- “A smack-down of a play.”--Broadway.com LA
- “…punch drunk on adrenaline…”--The New York Times
- "...an exhilaratingly sharp production directed by Shawn LaCount" --Boston Globe
- "Has the delicious crackle and pop of a galloping, honest-to-God, all-American satire" – New York Times
- "Flashy, fleshy and ridiculously entertaining."--New York Daily News
- "Underneath all of these stunts lies a thoughtful, provocative play. Whoever said you can’t mix the histrionic hijinks of professional wrestling with race and American politics?"--Dig
- "Boston’s Company One offers an artful exploration of televised wrestling with The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, a comedy from playwright Kristoffer Diaz that promises to skewer racial caricatures, steroid-riddled athletes, and whimsical notions of the American Dream."--Stuff
A Boston Premiere by Kristoffer Diaz
Directed by Shawn LaCount Having just won the Obie for Best New American Play, this Pulitzer finalist is as hilarious as it is relevant. Mace is a professional wrestler. He’s a really good professional wrestler. He’s not the champion though — that’s the impossibly charismatic Chad Deity. When Mace discovers a young Indian-American Brooklyn kid whose charisma rivals that of the champ, Mace decides to get him a job in the company. Only problem is, the boss has a very specific plan for the duo! A serious minded comedy about wrestling, geopolitics, and raisin bread.
About the Ticket Supplier: Company One
Company One strives to produce groundbreaking theatre and visual art utilizing the talents and ideas of Boston's most innovative artists.