Delve Into the Man Behind the Big Top in Barnum
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Barnum have expired.
The last date listed for Barnum was Sunday June 16, 2013 / 2:00pm.
Currently at Mercury Theater:
- Full Price:
- $55.00 - $59.00
- Our Price:
- $27.50 - $29.50
Your whole family will enjoy this heartwarming story of the first Christmas Tree Ship and the people who risked their lives to fill Chicago with the holiday spirit. Based on the shipwrecked Rouse Simmons, The Christmas Schooner is a powerful, moving story with an exquisite score by Chicago favorites John Reeger (book), and Julie Shannon (music and lyrics). The musical has entertained audiences for hundreds of productions, including a 12-year run at Chicago's Bailiwick Repertory Theatre. Set in the late 19th century, this holiday musical tells the song and dance-filled story of a close-knit group of German immigrants who receive a message from a Chicago-based cousin lamenting the lack of traditional Christmas trees. A shipping captain and his crew then undertake a risky late-season journey across the notoriously violent Lake Michigan to deliver the precious timber to the city, carrying with them a full cargo of holiday hope and joy. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from HavanaHelen
view more less of this review
This production is fun for ALL ages. We went on a Saturday night and the audience was primarily 30 to 60+ years old. We all enjoyed the production which brought us back to our childhood days. The two teenagers with us enjoyed it tremendously even though they always say "theyre bored"...we all laughed with delight. The acrobats are very fun to watch, the clowns amusing; PT Barnum is engaging....We also enjoyed the "elephant" surprise. I cannot recommend this show enough...a good time for all :) I read some reviews where individuals said the stage was small, we actually found it a more intimate circus experience. The size of the stage did not take anything away from the production.
Quotes & Highlights
- "A big, fat, family-friendly show ... bounces with infectious life and enthusiasm ... The sort of top-drawer Equity talent that one generally has to drive downtown or out to the suburbs to see." --Chicago Tribune
- "An expertly mounted, talent-filled Mercury Theater revival ... You can almost feel the large, polished cast pumping its last best breath into the material." --Chicago Sun-Times
- "Extremely ambitious, extremely well-staged, and extremely entertaining ... You’d be hard pressed to find a show that delivers as many thrills as Barnum ... one of the finest shows mounted in Chicago in years! Don’t miss it!" --Chicago Critic
- "Whimsical, exhilarating, fresh ... a genuine must see!" --Chicago Now
- "A wonderfully entertaining two hours of theater that is ideal family entertainment." --examiner.com
- "One of this season’s best productions on any stage ... This is one you will want to return to see a second time." --Around Town Chicago