Global Groove Chicago Presents Chicago Samba, the Hot Brazilian Dance Band
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Chicago Samba have expired.
The last date listed for Chicago Samba was Friday March 25, 2011 / 9:30pm.
Currently at Chopin Theatre Mainstage:
- Full Price:
- $25.00 - $39.00
- Our Price:
- $12.50 - $19.50
A contemporary adaptation of Oscar Wilde's classic novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, this unique production is performed promenade-style, where you follow the action and actors around the space, and features an intriguing blend of dance and dialogue. Dorian -- young, beautiful and aimless -- has just arrived in the big city, where local artists and critics have eagerly brought him into their fold. After a talented and frustrated painter named Basil Hallward crafts a gorgeous portrait of Dorian, the painting's young subject wishes to remain forever as lovely as this two-dimensional representation of him. And for many years -- through wild parties, brokenhearted lovers and occasional damage to the painting itself -- Dorian, growing steadily more wicked, does indeed remain flawlessly youthful. But what, if anything, will break this strange spell? With compelling choreography, acting and staging comes The House Theatre of Chicago's DORIAN, a modern spin on Wilde's rumination on youth and beauty. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
Check out Chicago Samba’s website.
Chicago Samba offers the authentic sounds of Brazil mixed with the flavor of carnaval. They play a unique mix of Brazilian popular song styles, including:
- Samba, the energetic national rhythm of Brazil
- Bossa Nova, a laid-back, seductive sound that merges jazzy melodies with the essence of the samba
beat (popularized by Antonio Carlos Jobim and songs like “The Girl from Ipanema”)
- Brazilian Jazz, under the influence of American Jazz, this the newest style of world music.
- Olodum, an rhythm-heavy, Afro-Brazilian sound tinged with reggae (popularized by Olodum)
- Forro, a lively syncopated sound from the rural northeastern Brazil
- Chorinho, a richly melodic sound driven by string instruments like guitar, flute & cavaquinho.
- Pagode, a funky Rio “party music” sound
- Batucada, an exciting, all-percussive jam session that brings any audience to its feet to dance along with the group – just like carnivale in Rio de Janeiro.