Life Is a Dream, Helen Edmundon's New Adaptation of Calderon's Classic Play
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Life Is a Dream have expired.
The last date listed for Life Is a Dream was Saturday June 11, 2011 / 7:30pm.
Currently at Stage 773:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
- $12.50 - $24.50
After a recent performance at Joe's Pub in New York City, last year's queer holiday hit We Three Lizas is back with a revamped book and expanded score. Box maker Conrad Ticklebottom's life has hit a stumbling block. At one time, his purple box sparked an entire movement in art and design, but now he's been forgotten and teetering on ruin. Just in the nick of time, the holidays bring three magical figures to his door -- a trio of Liza Minnellis -- to escort him on a fabulous journey through what-was, what-could-be and what-the-f*?!, redeeming his lost promise and reinventing a brand-new Conrad Ticklebottom. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Originally debuting at London’s renowned Donmar Warehouse in 2009, the play was hailed as “a masterpiece” by The Sunday Telegraph.
- “The cast finds moments of majesty. A thoughtful rebuke to our own debased era of poll-driven sound bites and black-and-white instant judgments.” --Chicago Tribune
- “Elegant. This straightforward version conveys the original’s unusual brilliance.” –-Time Out Chicago
- “The astute and passionate direction of Carlin-Metz launches her cast and audience on a vision quest of heroic proportions. We are completely drawn in. A production well worth your time.” –-ChicagoStageReview
- “A show to justify Vitalist Theatre’s well-earned name. Baroque and often beautiful, Vitalist actors are completely in control of this material and make whatever seems literary to live and sing. –-Chicago Theater Blog
- “Highly Recommended…a commanding and eloquent performance. The terrific cast delivers the rich text with honesty and heartfelt sincerity. Vitalist Theatre has mounted an artful, eloquent production of a 17th Century classic. --ChicagoCritic
- “An enchanting fable…a fascinating contemplation of self-discovery. This production is a powerful wake-up call.” -–Chicago Now
- “A fantastic reverie” –-Chicago Reader
Life Is a Dream is one of the most revered plays of the Spanish Golden Age. Its 17th-century themes explode in every contemporary political circumstance where leaders are called upon to sacrifice narrow ambition, relinquish personal gain, and stand instead for social justice. Yet every leader confronts some moment when the temptations of power — wealth, licentiousness, vengeance, fame — collide with the obligation to serve the common good.
Acclaimed British playwright Helen Edmundson’s new version of Life Is a Dream captures the original play’s power with elegant language and characters as fully human and recognizable as Shakespeare’s. Honor, humility, self-awareness, accountability, and dignity are values that define human aspirations the world round, but, as Calderón demonstrates, they are hard-won and fragile: without them, we are beasts. Staged by Elizabeth Carlin-Metz.
About the Ticket Supplier: Stage 773
The name Stage 773 expresses the company's mission to celebrate the richness, creativity, innovation and spirit of Chicago's off-loop theatre movement.