Soul Samurai: Onstage Action-Adventure Mixes Martial Arts and Hip-Hop
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Soul Samurai have expired.
The last date listed for Soul Samurai was Sunday June 5, 2011 / 3:00pm.
Currently at Theater Wit:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
This quick-witted comedy from Pulitzer Prize nominee Theresa Rebeck (Broadway's most-produced female playwright and creator of NBC's Smash) centers on Leonard, an experienced author who's hired by four aspiring novelists to conduct an intensive 10-week writing seminar in an Upper West Side apartment. True to Rebeck's reputation as a master of quarrelsome comedy, these students get much more for their $5,000 fee than they bargained for. They soon find themselves attending a master class in ruthless and reckless behavior where writing is a blood sport, words are deadly weapons and sex is just a tool of the trade. Learn More
Coarse language - leave the kids at home.info • Feb 23 2013 star this tip starred
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
What Soul Samurai has: swords, breakdancing, lesbians, Asian stereotypes. What it lacks: rollerskating chimps. Despite this, an enjoyable night out. Definitely got better as it progressed so I imagine it will continue to improve with each performance. Everyone at my show laughed out loud. A lot. The audience, I mean.
Quotes & Highlights
- "Soul Samurai has a dark fairy tale magic all its own, and has genuine heart to pump with its adrenaline." --<em>Centerstage Chicago </em>
- "Call it a rousing success...<em> Soul Samurai </em>is a hybrid theater/kung fu/video/hip-hop piece that comes together in a hilarious and wildly inventive production that’s unique on the Chicago stage." -- <em>Time Out Chicago </em>
- "The makings for a cult classic...<em> Soul Samurai </em>is action theatre with a side of comic book." --<em>Chicago Now </em>
- "Adrenaline-pumping martial-arts spectacle" --<em>Windy City Times</em>
- Check out <a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/InFusionTheatre">rehearsal videos</a> from <em>Soul Samurai</em>.
Directed by Mitch Golob
Soul Samurai is an adults-only action-adventure comedy about Dewdrop, a young samurai girl, and her sidekick who fight through the mean streets of post-apocalyptic New York City, featuring martial arts, a live DJ, multimedia, hip-hop, and vampires -- an adrenaline-charged production of love, loss, and revenge, infused with high-octane martial arts and video.
A live DJ, Jesse Livingston, provides musical accompaniment to the action on stage as well as spinning for the audience as they arrive and depart.
Soul Samurai cast includes Christine Lin (Dewdrop), Amy Dellagiarno (Sally), Austin Talley (Boss 2K / Marcus), Steven Thomas (Cert), Evan Lee (Master Leroy), Glenn Stanton (Grandmaster Mack), Anji White (Angela), Paul Tadalan (Pastor), Megan Tabaque (Ensemble) and Zach Livingston (Ensemble).
This show is not recommended for children due to adult language.