Emotionally Moving Stage Work Unrelenting Relaxation
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Unrelenting Relaxation have expired.
The last date listed for Unrelenting Relaxation was Sunday May 27, 2012 / 2:00pm.
Currently at STAGEStheatre:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Instead of the Kings of Comedy, five SoCal comics have gotten together and dubbed themselves the Assistant Regional Managers of the genre. They've also created this new, one-of-a-kind show that links their individual stand-up acts with an overarching narrative designed to include the audience. This talented performing quintet includes Beau McFarland, Peter Marr, Anne-Marie Symons, Andrew Long and Rick Torres, all of whom have performed at local comedy clubs, and boast a variety of writing, acting and directing credits. Not all members appear on all dates, and shows frequently feature guest performers, so check out the full event description for upcoming lineups. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from SuzieQ
view more less of this review
I loved this show, it has a riveting story, excellent acting by everyone in the cast, great directing and very cool stage design. There is nothing about this show that I didn't like. I have been to alot of plays but I have never seen an audience that was so into the story that you could hear a pin drop. If you don't see alot of plays this is one to see! I will be seeing it again!!!!
Quotes & Highlights
- "Martin's casting and direction, and the fine work of his actors, cement the text's qualities while delivering several quietly powerful performances as each firsthand narrative finds its own pulse and individualized path. The characters depicted in "Unrelenting Relaxation" are composites of dozens of actual women. It's a testament to DeMaio's creativity, imagination and playwriting skills that we emerge from STAGEStheatre feeling that we've just been privileged to share the terrible yet unforgettable experiences of five remarkable, and remarkably enduring, personalities." --<em>Orange County Register</em>
- "Five European women talk about their childhoods, their families, their dreams and pursuits—music, dance, medical studies—and ultimately their shattered lives in intersecting monologues, in a postwar setting, “theatre of testimony” style. They are beautifully understated in their impeccably-accented portrayals, in a stunning display of ensemble acting. Mike Martin’s sharp-eyed direction serves DeMaio’s carefully structured and nuanced script as well as can be imagined. It’s a stellar production." --<em>Examiner.com</em>
- "The actresses putting a human face to the horror are so convincing that the production often feels like a docudrama. Arlyn McDonald, as the Polish piano prodigy Dorothy Rothschild, delivers a nuanced performance of suppressed fury that simply stuns. Nancy Tyler's English military wife, Elizabeth Serra's Danish medical student, Jill Cary Martin's Finnish housewife and Jennifer Pearce's Parisian ballerina are equally deserving of praise, with the entire cast pulling off pitch-perfect accents. Director Mike Martin moves the women around just enough to offer some optical exercise." --<em>OC Weekly</em>
- "The jumping and interplay of stories between the five characters and the interviewer is a great device because it keeps you mentally in the story. It's not a dialogue... its a quintalogue, so to speak, used to great effect. All the actresses (Arlyn McDonald, Elizabeth Serra, Nancy Tyler, Jill Cary Martin, and Jennifer Pearce) are wonderful. The performances are memorable and will stick with you." --<em>The Daily Bosco</em>
- "[The cast is] beautifully understated in their impeccably-accented portrayals, in a stunning display of ensemble acting. Mike Martin’s sharp-eyed direction serves DeMaio’s carefully structured and nuanced script as well as can be imagined. It’s a stellar production." --examiner.com
Unrelenting Relaxation features the talents of Arlyn McDonald, Elizabeth Serra, Nancy Tyler, Jill Cary Martin, Jennifer Pearce, Patti Cumby and Nicholas Thurkettle.