Caught: Critically-Acclaimed, Ovation-Recommended Comedy
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Caught have expired.
The last date listed for Caught was Sunday August 7, 2011 / 7:00pm.
Currently at Zephyr Theatre:
- Full Price:
- $15.00 - $20.00
- Our Price:
- $7.50 - $10.00
Come see where the theater pros go to play on their night off. PlayGround, an acclaimed series of shows that's been running in the Bay Area since 1994, comes to Los Angeles. Each month, PlayGround-LA will present staged readings of original short plays inspired by an assigned topic and written in just four days by some of Los Angeles' best emerging professional playwrights. Pre-show discussions provide further insight into the chosen topic, the writers' processes and more. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Ovation Recommended
- "GO! A scintillating domestic comedy" " --LA Weekly
- "Superb...an emotional roller-coaster" --The Advocate
- "Wow! A breakout hit...my favorite new play of the past year" --StageSceneLA
- "Gets its comic spark from the familiar spectacle of a culture clash. Directed with polish!" --Los Angeles Times
- "Engaging" --LA Stage Times
- "Riveting" --EDGE
- "Wonderful...beautifully and meticulously structured" --Cameron Crowe
- "Emotionally-gripping...triumphs as a genuinely riveting, enjoyable piece of living theater." --Broadway World
- See a list of restaurants on Melrose Avenue near the theater.
- Nominated for 2 LA Weekly Theatre Awards: Best Acting Ensemble, Best Direction of a Play.
- This is THE word-of-mouth show to see." --http://www.frontiersweb.com/.../Story.aspx?ID=1372806)">Frontiers Magazine
Over the past several years, the debate over same-sex marriage has split the country, deeply divided religious communities, and galvanized American politics. Directed by Nick DeGruccio, Caught, a world premiere play by David L. Ray, centers around the upcoming wedding of Kenneth and Troy, a committed gay couple living in Los Angeles. Only days before the event, Kenneth's estranged and culturally-conservative sister, Darlene, and her daughter unexpectedly visit from Georgia. Caught explores the meaning of "marriage," and how a family can find a way to meet in the middle while navigating long-standing religious values and staying true to their core beliefs.
Caught squarely earns both its laughter and its tears and, says Broadway World, “triumphs as a genuinely riveting, enjoyable piece of living theater.”
Writer David L. Ray is an acclaimed emerging playwright whose previous works have been produced nationwide, including the historic Cherry Lane Theatre in New York, Actors Theatre of Louisville, and the Marilyn Monroe Theatre in West Hollywood.
Nick DeGruccio is a multi Ovation, LADCC, and Garland Award-winner for Best Director. He has helmed productions at other prestigious theaters, including South Coast Rep, The Colony Theatre, Laguna Playhouse, Pasadena Playhouse, The Rubicon, Cabrillo Music Theatre, Musical Theatre West, Performance Riverside and more. He is the artistic director of the acclaimed Havoc Theatre Company.