Hughie: Eugene O'Neill's Compelling Character Study
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Hughie have expired.
The last date listed for Hughie was Friday January 25, 2013 / 8:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $50.00 - $75.00
- Our Price:
- SOLD OUT
The Lion King, long-time ruler of the Broadway and L.A. box offices, roars back into Hollywood as a limited-engagement treat for the holidays. Tony-winning director Julie Taymor made theatrical history when she transformed the beloved Disney movie into one of the most thrilling spectacles ever to grace the stage, with brilliant puppetry and majestic choreography and costumes. And as impressive as the visuals are, the score is equally thrilling, featuring Elton John and Tim Rice's Oscar-winning song "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" and "Circle of Life." Indeed, the musical's first appearance on Broadway was more than an impressive debut: Newsweek called it "a landmark event in entertainment." The Pantages became home to the Pridelands for a long and successful run beginning in 2000, and now a new generation has the chance to get swept up in its magic. See it now before it ends on January 12. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
Hughie had great writing that really revealed the character. The acting was superb. The problem was that I couldn't stand the character and would never willingly have spent more than 2 minutes in his company. Instead I was right there with him for over an hour. G.H.
Quotes & Highlights
- “Andrew Schlessinger delivers a tour-de-force performance as a down-on-his luck hustler in Hughie. From his distinctive gait (a sort of drunken cock-of-the-walk walk), to his gravely, somewhat slurred speech, to his train-wreck-about-to-happen manner, Schlessinger is one terrific Erie Smith.”--Stage Scene LA
- “Hughie is a tour-de-force for Andrew Schlessinger as the central character, Erie Smith, in this textbook production at Open Fist.” – LA Stage Happenings
- “Andrew Schlessinger delivers Erie’s restlessness and self-loathing papered over in braggadocio, his cracking voice shot through with sorrow…we experience Erie’s arc, from cheerful, gravel-voiced chatterbox to lost soul desperate for validation.” – Backstage
- “Highly Recommended!!” “It’s equal parts humor and heartbreak, with two distinctive characters who never cease to be fascinating."--LA Opening Nights
- Learn more about Hughie in this LA Stage Times feature about the show.
About the Ticket Supplier: Open Fist Theatre Company
The Open Fist Theatre Company is a community of actors, playwrights, designers and directors who believe that to realize the force and potential of a relevant, contemporary, living theatre it is necessary to create, nurture, and unite a company founded on the pursuit of artistic excellence.