shAme: Rock Opera Based On The Scarlet Letter at King King Hollywood
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for shAme have expired.
The last date listed for shAme was Wednesday July 16, 2008 / 8:00pm (Closing Night).
Currently at King King Hollywood:
- Full Price:
- $40.00 - $60.00
- Our Price:
- SOLD OUT
Choreographer Terry Beeman brings his intoxicating mix of vaudeville circus, devious cabaret and breathtaking aerialists back to King King for their 2014 season. This highly physical performance fuses avant-garde style with intricate movement for unparalleled aerial performance, and it all takes place at King King, a stylish Hollywood nightclub with a full service bar. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from ChristaRed Velvet
view more less of this review
Very interesting take on the classic Hawthorne tale. Some bad sound control in places (especially at the beginning when the actors are actually trying to establish the plot!) making specific segments indistinguishable, but the singing voices were excellent. The two leads in particular, Katrina and Mark, were strong and compelling to watch.
This show doesn't contain the greatest melodies ever written and was a bit uneven from time to time, but with some re-working I think it could be a wonderful rock opera. I'm glad I went!
Quotes & Highlights
- "Puritans breaking into power ballads makes heady sense in Mark Governor's rock musical <em>shAme...</em>accumulates a certain blunt power…it's never a bad thing to hand a masterpiece a mike and let it belt one." —<em>Los Angeles Times</em>
- "Governor's songs have some of the catchiest rhythms, melodies, and hooks I've heard in a new musical, making each instantly hummable...The music is catchy and the performances rock. And there's no 'shame' in that!" —StageSceneLA.com
The Los Angeles Rock Opera presents:
A Rock Opera by Mark Governor
Directed and Choreographed by Janet Roston
Based on the novel The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Vocal Director: Michael Wells
Ass't Director/Choreographer: Liz Sroka
Produced By: Carlos Carrasco and Liz Sroka
Katrina Lenk, Mark Luna, Danny Shorago, Laura Darrell, Kelly Becerra, Joe Donohoe, Daniel Lujan, James W. Lynch, Trina Taylor and Erin Zaruba
Using powerful rock songs, soulful indie ballads and haunting melodies, shAme reinvigorates Rock Opera with a timeless story of sex, sin and redemption. The New York style King King Nightclub in Hollywood brings the audience into the world of shAme using video images, rock style lighting, and non-stop music that keeps this classic story of love and honor thrilling and current.
"Nights of Shame"
Come for the show and stay for the party at no additional cost! At 10:00pm, immediately following shAme, there will be different bands, DJs and more.
- May 28: Taxi Doll, Catalog, DJ ACD (a night of pop electronica)
- June 4: Vicious Licks, Cast of Kings, DJ Double D
- June 11: The Latin Flavors, Buyepongo, DJ Ray Ricky and DJ Askari (a night of Cumbia and Latin music)
- June 18: Emi Kasai Band and DJ Smiles Davis (a night of Japanese funk and funk/soul DJ)
- July 16: The Fuxedos (a night of art rock from shAme's Chillingworth!)
- And more!