FELA! Award-Winning Broadway Musical Now in Houston
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for FELA! have expired.
The last date listed for FELA! was Saturday June 9, 2012 / 2:00pm.
Currently at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts:
- Full Price:
- $45.00 - $85.00
- Our Price:
- $20.00 - $35.00
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, one of the world's most beloved dance companies and a favorite with Houston audiences, returns for another exciting performance. The company is celebrated not just for their exquisite performance of beloved classics, but also for their commitment to bold, new dance styles, offering something for every taste. Artistic director Robert Battle has created a program drawn from company favorites, his own electrifying work and new works brimming with wit and power. Don't miss these dynamic and artistic dancers hailed by the New York Times as "sleek, athletic masters of the universe." In homage to the company's legendary founder, the program will end with Alvin Ailey's own masterpiece, Revelations. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Check out the official FELA! <a target="_blank" href="http://www.felaonbroadway.com">website</a> for videos and more.
- Read the stellar <a target="_blank" href="http://www.goldstar.com/events/los-angeles-ca/fela?reviews=all#reviews">Goldstar member reviews</a> for this production's Los Angeles run.
- "The hot (and seriously cool) energy that comes from the musical gospel preached by the title character of <em>FELA! </em>feels as if it could stretch easily to the borders of Manhattan and then across a river or two. There should be dancing in the streets!" --Ben Brantley, <em>The New York Times </em>
- "<em>FELA</em><em>!</em> Is as rowdy as it is rousing. (It) is one of the most original and exciting shows to come around in a long while." --<em>Daily News </em>
- "There's enough energy in the first act of <em> FELA!</em> to short circuit Con Ed. It spills over from the stage and into the orchestra seats. Boundless and joyous: This is as close as Broadway gets to fully immersive theatre." --<em>New York Post </em>
- "Bill T. Jones's wildly loose-limbed journey into the throbbing heart of Afrobeat breaks bold new ground in musical theatre." --<em>Variety </em>
- “ ... the most exuberant musical I’ve seen this season. ... the fusion of his (Fela’s) sound is rapturously celebrated with a pinwheel parade of pelvises.” --<em>Los Angeles Times</em>
FELA! premiered off-Broadway in September of 2008 and won the Lucille Lortel Award for Best Musical before transferring to Broadway in November 2009 where its accolades included three 2010 Tony Awards including one for Best Choreography. Bill T. Jones also received the Astaire Award for Best Choreographer of the year in addition to this country’s most prestigious award, The Kennedy Center Honors.
This show is recommended for those ages 14 and older, and runs 2 hours and 30 minutes, with a 20-minute intermission.