FELA! Returns to Ahmanson Theatre With Michelle Williams From Destiny's Child
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for FELA! have expired.
The last date listed for FELA! was Sunday May 5, 2013 / 6:30pm.
Currently at Ahmanson Theatre:
- Full Price:
- $60.00 - $80.00
- Our Price:
- $30.00 - $40.00
Barry Manilow returns to his first love, writing musicals, with the much-anticipated Harmony. This musical story of the world's first hit boy band is based on the true tale of six talented young Germans who came together in the 1920s and took the world by storm. With a signature blend of sophisticated close harmonies and hilarious stage antics, the Comedian Harmonists were an actual group that sold millions of records, starred in films and packed the prestigious concert halls around the globe -- until the rise of Nazi Germany split them apart. Inspired by the story, Manilow and his co-creator, writer-lyricist Bruce Sussman, created this musical with an original score that celebrates this extraordinary group of friends and their quest for true harmony in one of the most discordant periods of world history. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
This is one of the most powerfully entertaining and informative theatrical performances that we have experienced EVER! The staging was superb; the acting incredible; the music exhilarating; the dancing hypnotic; and the grounding in historical/cultural perspectives profound!
This is a must see for understanding the compelling influence of music and dance for activating social movements. Be prepared to participate in the movement at the Shrine - leave your inhibitions at home!
Quotes & Highlights
- Watch the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xSksohrJfVU?autoplay=1">video trailer</a> for <em>FELA!</em>
- The hot (and seriously cool) energy that comes from the musical gospel preached by the title character of <em>FELA! </em>Feels as if it could stretch easily to the borders of Manhattan and then across a river or two. There should be dancing in the streets!" --<em>New York Times </em>
- "<em>FELA</em><em>!</em> Is as rowdy as it is rousing. (It) is one of the most original and exciting shows to come around in a long while." --<em>Daily News </em>
- "There's enough energy in the first act of <em> FELA!</em> to short circuit Con Ed. It spills over from the stage and into the orchestra seats. Boundless and joyous: This is as close as Broadway gets to fully immersive theatre." --<em>New York Post </em>
- Bill T. Jones's wildly loose-limbed journey into the throbbing heart of Afrobeat breaks bold new ground in musical theatre." --<em>Variety </em>
Winner of 3 Tony Awards!
From Producers Shawn "Jay Z" Carter, Will Smith, and Jada Pinkett-Smith
FELA! is the true story of the legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti, whose soulful Afrobeat rhythms ignited a generation. Inspired by his mother, a civil rights champion, he defied a corrupt and oppressive military government and devoted his life and music to the struggle for freedom and human dignity.
FELA! is a triumphant tale of courage, passion and love, featuring Fela Kuti’s captivating music and the visionary direction and choreography of Tony Award-winner Bill T. Jones.