Buffy Star James Marsters in The Bells of West 87th
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Bells of West 87th have expired.
The last date listed for The Bells of West 87th was Sunday October 27, 2013 / 6:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
The Lion King, long-time ruler of the Broadway and L.A. box offices, roars back into Hollywood as a limited-engagement treat for the holidays. Tony-winning director Julie Taymor made theatrical history when she transformed the beloved Disney movie into one of the most thrilling spectacles ever to grace the stage, with brilliant puppetry and majestic choreography and costumes. And as impressive as the visuals are, the score is equally thrilling, featuring Elton John and Tim Rice's Oscar-winning song "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" and "Circle of Life." Indeed, the musical's first appearance on Broadway was more than an impressive debut: Newsweek called it "a landmark event in entertainment." The Pantages became home to the Pridelands for a long and successful run beginning in 2000, and now a new generation has the chance to get swept up in its magic. See it now before it ends on January 12. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
Nice little comedy in a good little theatre. While the structure of the script could have used a bit more workshop to tighten it up, I found myself laughing time and again. The preview performance I saw was a bit wobbly for timing but the charcterizations seemed spot on. (I do admit to being disappointed though that Juliet Landau didn't peform that night.) I am particularly fond of Marsters' loopy but genuine miniture golf course manager / vegan. it shouldn't take long for the cast to realize there are lots of laughs.
Quotes & Highlights
- "Go ... cleverly written and acted expertly by a solid ensemble." --LA Weekly
- “Rings in a cast of lovable oddballs … in a memorably disastrous family dinner that is as funny as it is fateful … the cast is winning.” --Los Angeles Times
- “Quick, funny … Hampton's characters as played by a vibrant cast are far more eccentric than usual and grab us deliciously from the start.” --BroadwayWorld.com
- “A magnificent cast in a hilarious new comedy … Hampton’s writing is fresh, smart, and … serves as a vessel for the powerhouse team of actors in this character-driven piece …. Angelenos will be kicking themselves if they miss this instant classic.” – Life In LA
- “A minefield of hilarity!... that [playwright Elin Hampton] is a superb joke-smith is attested to by the crescendo of snickers, chuckles, guffaws and belly laughs she entices from her audience.” – Working Author
Elin Hampton’s writing credits include the hit musical Who’s Your Mommy?! (aka Amother Musical), written with composer Gerald Sternbach, which played to sold-out houses at the Hudson Backstage and has been optioned for the New York stage, as well as writing and producing credits on television shows such as Mad About You, Dream On, Pinky and the Brain, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Jackie Thomas Show, Rugrats, House of Buggin, Life’s Work and Baby Bob.
Richard Pierce has directed numerous theater productions in L.A., most recently Mitch Album’s Duck Hunter Shoots Angel. He is a multiple award-winning executive producer whose credits include telefilms Witness to the Execution (Writer’s Guild Award, Paul Selvin Award), The Substitute Wife starring Farrah Fawcett (Writer’s Guild nominee) for NBC, The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom starring Holly Hunter (Emmy, Cable Ace and Writers Guild Awards) for HBO, Disney Channel’s In A Heartbeat (Prism Award), the ABC mini-series 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea starring Michael Caine and Patrick Dempsey.
October 26: Director Richard Pierce will replace James Marsters.