The Unexpected Man, a Journey of Inner Dialogues
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Unexpected Man have expired.
The last date listed for The Unexpected Man was Sunday March 28, 2010 / 3:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
A dazzling who's who of Hollywood and Broadway talent will come together for this special benefit concert at The Pasadena Playhouse to help raise money to assist with relief efforts in the Philippines following November's devastating typhoon. Performers donating their time and remarkable talents include Lea Thompson (Cabaret, NBC's Caroline in the City), Loretta Devine (Dreamgirls), Sam Harris (The Producers), Nicole Parker (Wicked), Gwen Stewart (Rent), Valerie Perri (Evita, Gypsy) and many more. Proceeds will support the American Red Cross' Typhoon Appeal and its efforts to assist overseas as the people of the Philippines begin to recover and rebuild. Please see the full event description for a complete list of scheduled performers. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
Outstanding performances by both actors, but especially the nuanced performance by the female lead. I could easily imagine this beautifully written role going to actresses the caliber of Streep, Mirren, or Close. That this actress made me think along those lines is damn good.
The play will appeal to an audience that is highly literate, those that have a rich interior life. If you're out of the box enough to believe a fully clothed actress in her November years can be quietly, subtley alluring, get your tickets here.
If you're looking for a fast-paced, action-packed play populated by hot twenty year olds setting foot onstage immediately following their first acting class, this is not it. Save your money.
Quotes & Highlights
- GO! "Excellent...subtle but powerful." --LA Weekly
- "Berns is laudable." --Los Angeles Times
- "The Unexpected Man is a memorable train ride towards theatrical excellence." --LA Splash
- "Happily unexpected...An unexpected delight." -SOCAL
- "Bright Eyes Productions’ superb presentation of The Unexpected Man offers an acting tour de force." --Tolucan Times
- "Reza's artful play may persuade you that there is nothing of greater value in all the world than a brief encounter between strangers on a train." —The New Yorker
- "This is a subtle, touching work about lonely people who allow only their imaginations to run wild." —NY Daily News
- "…an elegant, witty little play full of sad observations about life and loneliness, about the ways fantasies can shape encounters." —NY Post
Bright Eyes Productions
The Unexpected Man
Written by Yasmina Reza
Translated by Christopher Hampton
Directed by David Robinson with Judy Jean Berns and Ronald Hunter