They Call Me Mister Fry: Hit Solo Show About an Inner-City Teacher
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for They Call Me Mister Fry have expired.
The last date listed for They Call Me Mister Fry was Sunday June 30, 2013 / 4:00pm.
Currently at Lounge Theatre:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
- $5.00 - $10.00
When performers this good go solo, the results can't be anything less than thrilling. Hollywood Stag celebrates the very best in one-person performance, bringing together six tried-and-tested solo performers for a festival at the Lounge Theatre. Across the shows, topics range from grief to glee and everything in between. The one unifying theme is excellence in presentation, craft and sheer story-telling ability. See the full event description for more information about individual shows and show times. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Doug Knott
view more less of this review
Jack Fry's show is the best presentation of a modern-day teacher's life and dilemmas I've ever seen. With poignant insights and deft humor, Fry navigates the sandbars, storms and harbors of a teacher's life and work - from "getting hired" to classroom discipline and the effects on his personal life. On the way, as a 5th grade teacher he encounters two memorable students, the Latino "Anthony" and the amazing African-American "Jasmine," and because of his affection for them, he becomes involved in their lives, obviously complicating his teaching career. This play is a "must see" for teachers, and also an incisive document into the life of a man who has chosen this noble vocation as his profession. I left the theatre amused and inspired. It was a "bravo" performance by a man who really knows his subject.
Quotes & Highlights
- Watch Stephen Colbert's endorsement of the show.
- Check out Goldstar member reviews of the show's run at FanaticSalon in Culver City.
- "On stage, Mister Fry makes the grade!" --Los Angeles Times
- "Jack Fry is the Patch Adams of education, the highest quality of Off Broadway theatre" --LA Examiner
- Critic's Pick for Best of the Fest --Capital Fringe
- "Gritty but hopeful" --Curtain Up New York
- "A must see" --socal.com
- "A talented blend of comedy and emotion" --Valley Scene Magazine
- "Freiberger wins over his audience ... he masterfully plays two problem students." --LA Weekly, GO!
- "By all means see it and leave inspired!" --Our Town New York (Theater Pick of the Week)
- "This production has enough heart, audacity, and originality to stand out from the crowd mainly because of the artistry of Jack Fry." --dctheaterscene.com
- "Intense and intimate...many laughs..." --NUVO
- "They Call Me Mister Fry is directed by my first director Jeff Michalski, so you know it's got to be good." --Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report
- See Goldstar member reviews of They Call Me Mister Fry's successful New York run at Comic Strip Live.
Running time is approximately 90 minutes with no intermission.