Jewish Heritage and History Tour of Lower Manhattan
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for The Jews of Lower Manhattan was Sunday January 1, 2012 / 1:00pm.
Quotes & Highlights
Visit the Museum of Jewish Heritage website .
The Christmas season is upon us, but for those of us who are not gathering around trees or singing carols, options can be limited around the 25th of December.
Wall Street Walks is proud to present The Jews of Lower Manhattan, an exclusive walking tour that focuses entirely on the Jewish presence on Wall Street and its surrounding areas.
Jews have been instrumental in both the foundation of Wall Street and its growth into the ubiquitous financial institution it is today. Did you know that…
- Lower Manhattan was the original site for the Congregation Shearith Israel, the oldest Jewish congregation in America.
- Jewish poet Emma Lazarus penned the famous verses featured on the base of the Statue of Liberty.
- Three founding members of the NYSE were Jewish.
- A number of investment banks were started by Jews, notably Goldman Sachs which still operates under its original name.
- Samuel D. Leidesdorf, philanthropist and founder of the accounting firm S.D. Leidesdorf, helped create the Israeli Bonds program.
See the famous sites throughout Lower Manhattan including:
- Statue of Liberty
- New York Harbor
- Wall Street
- Federal Hall
- The original site of Shearith Israel
- The headquarters of Goldman Sachs
- U.S. Customs House
- Movie sites for films such as Ghostbusters 2 and Men in Black
Hand warmers are available for $1.
After the tour you can remain at the Museum of Jewish Heritage and participate in any of their other activities.