Live Jazz at Birdland: Legendary Club Hosts Today's Best Musicians
* Additional fees apply.
Turn any event into a gift that's…
Can be sent via email or mail.
Experiences that create memories make the greatest gifts.
Select Your Date
- Sun, Dec 8 11:00pm (Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra) Check Availability $15.00
- Mon, Dec 9 7:00pm (Donna McKechnie/Jerry Mitchell) Check Availability $15.00
- Tue, Dec 10 8:30pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Tue, Dec 10 11:00pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Wed, Dec 11 8:30pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Wed, Dec 11 11:00pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Thu, Dec 12 6:00pm (Shoshana Bush) Check Availability $12.50
- Thu, Dec 12 8:30pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Thu, Dec 12 11:00pm (Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney) Check Availability $20.00
- Sun, Dec 15 11:00pm (Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra) Check Availability $15.00
- Sun, Dec 22 11:00pm (Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra) Check Availability $15.00
- Sun, Dec 29 6:00pm (Birdland Jazz Party/Hilary Gardner) Check Availability $12.50
- Sun, Dec 29 11:00pm (Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra) Check Availability $15.00
- Wed, Jan 1 11:00pm (The Birdland Big Band) Check Availability $20.00
- Thu, Jan 2 11:00pm (The Birdland Big Band) Check Availability $20.00
- Sat, Jan 4 6:00pm (Jay Leonhart Duo) Check Availability $15.00
- Sun, Jan 5 6:00pm (Birdland Jazz Party/Hilary Gardner) Check Availability $12.50
- Sun, Jan 5 11:00pm (Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra) Check Availability $15.00
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Kenyon
view more less of this review
Great venue, great food. Lovely waitstaff - lousy house manager. Some very nice souvenirs (watch out for the "polo" shirt, though, unmarked at $50!) - but allow time to buy before or after, as there can be a rush at the check-out counter and they don't offer them via their website. Great location, too. Also a wonderful line-up on tap.
Fridays at 5:00pm: The Birdland Big Band
Founded by drummer and musical director Tommy Igoe, the Birdland Big Band features the finest musicians in New York! The BBB roars into action every Friday, playing the finest Jazz, Latin and Brazilian music from the world's best arrangers.
Saturdays at 6:00pm: Barbara Carroll
Barbara Carroll appears with Jay Leonhart.
Sundays at 11:00pm: Arturo O'Farrill and the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra
Grammy Award winning pianist, composer and educator Arturo O'Farrill — leader of the "first family of Afro-Cuban Jazz" (NY Times) — leads the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra, the resident large format ensemble of the nonprofit Afro Latin Jazz Alliance (ALJA) founded by O'Farrill in 2007 and dedicated to preserving the music and heritage of big band Latin jazz.
December 5, 2013 at 6:00pm: Native Soul
Peter Brainin (saxophone)
Noah Haidu (piano)
Marcus McLaurine (bass)
Steve Johns (drums)
A true musical collaboration, Native Soul brings together the experience and talent of four uniquely gifted instrumentalist/composers: bass virtuoso Marcus McLaurine, rising star pianist Noah Haidu, brilliant saxophonist Peter Brainin and dynamic drummer, Steve Johns. A quartet that understands completely the respect of each other's talent, Native Soul makes it almost impossible to single out a lead person. Winning over fans at home and abroad, Native Soul’s exhilarating music shows their distinctive musical personality and a wide range of influences, including straight-ahead jazz, gospel, Brazilian, funk, Afro-Cuban, and blues.
December 5, 2013 at 11:00pm: Stacey Kent
Grammy-nominated jazz singer Stacey Kent released her latest album, The Changing Lights, in September.
December 9, 2013 at 7:00pm: Donna McKechnie In Good Company With Jerry Mitchell
Donna McKechnie In Good Company will bring the Tony winner’s conversational skills to the forefront, and provide a stage for unique, one-time-only musical moments with Broadway’s most celebrated and iconic artists.
The Tony Award-winning star of A Chorus Line and other famed musicals will be joined tonight by Jerry Mitchell, the Broadway veteran who directed and choreographed the Broadway musical Kinky Boots. He won the 2013 Tony Award for Best Choreography and was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical. On Broadway, he's also choreographed La Cage aux Folles (for which he won another Tony), Gypsy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Legally Blonde: the Musical (which he also directed), Catch Me If You Can, Hairspray, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and The Full Monty, and his TV and film credits include Camp, In & Out and Drop Dead Gorgeous. He garnered an Emmy Award nomination for his work on The Drew Carey Show.
December 10-12, 2013: Jazz Stories: Eddie Gomez, Kenny Barron, Al Foster, Wallace Roney
Legendary bassist and two-time Grammy Award winner Eddie Gomez has been on the cutting edge of music for over four decades. His impressive resumé includes performances with jazz giants such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Evans, Gerry Mulligan and Benny Goodman. At Birdland, Gomez convenes an all-star group featuring pianist Kenny Barron, the Philadelphia native who is now one of the top jazz pianists in the world; drummer Al Foster, who has been the rhythmic force in bands led by Miles Davis, Joe Henderson, Sonny Rollins and many other jazz legends for over 50 years; and virtuoso trumpeter Wallace Roney, who was considered the protégé and heir apparent to Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis.
December 12, 2013 at 6:00pm: Shoshana Bush
Isamu McGregor, paino
Brian Holtz, bass
Nir Felder, guitar
Jordan Perlson, drums
Jazz and blues vocalist Shoshana Bush grew up in Los Angeles and has been living in New York for 6 years. In April 2013, Shoshana released Shoshana Bush & Friends Live at Catalina Jazz Club, an album recorded in concert in Los Angeles.
December 29, 2013 and January 5, 2014 at 6:00pm: Birdland Jazz Party With Hilary Gardner
Birdland's very own jazz quartet hits the stage every Sunday to wrap up the weekend with jazz classics! This quartet features John Hart (guitar), Paul Gil (bass), Carmen Intorre (drums) and Jon Davis (piano), plus guest vocalists. these shows feature Hilary Gardner, a native of Alaska whose work ranges from singing the female lead (alongside Frank Sinatra) in Twyla Tharp’s Come Fly Away to assorted commercial jingles, a cameo on a Moby record, and performing the national anthem at CitiField for the New York Mets. Gardner released her debut album The Great City in 2012.
January 4, 2013 at 6:00pm: Jay Leonhart Duo
Combining the skills of an old school entertainer and virtuoso jazz man, bassist, vocalist and composer Jay Leonhart has been a fixture of the New York scene for over forty years. When Jay was fourteen he started playing the bass in The Pier Five Dixieland Jazz Band in Baltimore and never looked back. Upon moving to New York, Jay eventually began playing for many of the great jazz musicians, big bands, and singers who were to be found in New York -- artists like Thad Jones and Mel Lewis, Tony Bennett, Marian McPartland, and Jim Hall. Between 1975 and 1995 he was named the Most Valuable Bassist in the recording industry three times by the National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences. In addition to his work as a sideman, Jay has now recorded 15 solo albums.
About the Ticket Supplier: Birdland
Birdland offers Southern cuisine with a Cajun flair every evening from 5:00pm until 1:00am. Arrive before show time or dine during the performance. The menu can be found online at www.birdlandjazz.com.