Alan Cumming's Macbeth: A Limited Engagement on Broadway
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Macbeth have expired.
The last date listed for Macbeth was Sunday July 14, 2013 / 3:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $79.00 - $127.00
- Our Price:
- $65.00 - $79.00
In downtown Philadelphia, a down-and-out boxer is struggling to get by when the chance of a lifetime comes along. He doesn't have long to get back in fighting shape, but if he does it, this could be his best shot to become a champion, and his last chance for love. The massively popular movie about the ultimate underdog inspired this innovative new stage production, brought to life by a five-time Tony Award-winning creative team, including director Alex Timbers (Peter and the Starcatcher), songwriting team Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Ragtime), and book writers Thomas Meehan (The Producers) and Sylvester Stallone, writer and star of the Rocky films. Featuring 20 original songs, plus hits from the films ("Eye of the Tiger" and "Gonna Fly Now"), Rocky is not only an adrenaline-fueled spectacle for anyone who was a fan of the movie, but it's also a surprising tale of romance that will touch the hearts of longtime musical theater fans. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- "What a tour-de-force performance it is ... really hits the damned spot." --<em><a target="_blank" href="http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20693398,00.html">Entertainment Weekly</a></em>
- "What Cumming is doing at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre is delivering a tour-de-force that redefines the term." --<a target="_blank" href="http://bigstory.ap.org/article/review-alan-cummings-1-man-macbeth-stunning">Associated Press</a>
- "it produced, in me at least, the thump of dread you want in <em>Macbeth</em> and seldom get ... Every element of the design -- set, sound, costume, video, lighting -- is ideally tailored to the concept ... [Cumming's] voice for verse, with those big Scots vowels, is outstanding. He’s tireless and brave in enacting a difficult story." --<em><a target="_blank" href="http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/theater-review-alan-cumming-as-macbeth.html">Vulture</a></em>
- "All will appreciate the stirring turn by Cumming packing theatrical thunder and lightning. Fitting for the asylum setting of this “Macbeth,” Cumming is fully committed." --<em><a target="_blank" href="http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/macbeth-alan-cumming-theater-review-article-1.1322277">New York Daily News</a></em>
- "It’s an audacious interpretation, not simply in the enormity of the task (Cumming is center of attention for the best part of two hours), but in the way it internalizes the wide-ranging political drama of the original and turns it into a distressing vision of mental disorder." --<em><a target="_blank" href="http://variety.com/2013/legit/reviews/legit-review-macbeth-1200400767/">Variety</a></em>
This production includes nudity and violent subject matter that may be inappropriate for younger audiences. The show is recommended for those ages 14 or older.
Photo by Albert Watson