Askance: Dark Secrets Among Seniors Revealed in New Drama
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Askance have expired.
The last date listed for Askance was Sunday February 12, 2012 / 6:00pm.
Currently at Eclectic Company Theatre:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
The Jensen family is hoping to escape the mayhem and misery of everyday Texas life with a holiday vacation in the Colorado Mountains. Unfortunately, they have no such luck. A deluded mother, her three rowdy sons, her morose daughter, her daughter's "roommate" and her daughter-in-law, the aging Rodeo Queen, are stuck together for the hell-idays. Watch this odd bunch struggle to find the true meaning of Christmas and accept that family is family -- whether they like it or not. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
I thought this was a great play. The story was very clever and original. The actors were all good. Great night out. Thank you Goldstar!
Quotes & Highlights
- "Lordygan deftly elicits sympathy for his characters ... Sabrina Lloyd's sensitive direction maximizes the script's nuances and allows room for meaningful glances." --LA Weekly
- "Part of the delight of watching this play is learning these secrets (for we all have secrets we wish to suppress) and seeing the way in which they have affected the characters on stage." --Edge Los Angeles
- The play was recommended by stagescenela.com.
- "The finale effectively emphasizes the play’s message about the destructive effect of unspoken truths." --Los Angeles Times
- "Credible performances are given by Joseph Cardinale as Irving and Kenlyn Kanouse as Millie. Ivy Jones is particularly effective as the mildly crazy Sylvia. R.J Farrington provides comic relief as the acerbic nurse Adele Greene.” --Los Feliz Ledger
- "William Faulkner's injunction that 'the past is never dead; it's not even past' gets unpacked to powerful effect in Kerr Seth Lordygan's new play Askance at the Eclectic Company Theatre." --LAist
From the producers of the hits Posing Strap Pirates, Gothmas and Measure for Measure comes a brand new world-premiere drama by award-winning playwright Kerr Seth Lordygan.
When an assisted-living retirement home suddenly closes, among the seniors being forced to re-locate are Irving and Milly, a long-married couple; and Sylvia, a woman suffering bouts of dementia aggravated by the long absence of her now-grown, gay son. The three seniors are more connected than they might first appear. Dark, mysterious, ugly secrets thought submerged for decades suddenly rise to the surface, uncovering a history of sex, blood and deceit. When justice demands that debts be paid and accounts settled, can love possibly survive?
Askance (adv.). 1. With an oblique glance. 2. With doubt or mistrust. --World English Dictionary.
Written by Kerr Seth Lordygan
Directed by Sabrina Lloyd
Taylor Ashbrook, Jennifer Bailey, Joseph Cardinale*, Adam Coggins, RJ Farrington*, Sigi Gradwohl+, Ivy Jones*, Kenlyn Kanouse, Dave Kirkpatrick+, Frank Krueger, Rebecca Lane*+, Kerr Lordygan+, Wendy Radford*+, Beth Ricketson, Michael Tatlock*, David Veach+ and Roger Weiss+
Cast is subject to change without notice.
January 27th will be an alternate cast performance.
* Member of Actors' Equity Association The Union of
Professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States
+ Understudy/Alternate Cast