The Birthday Boys: Aaron Kozak's Gritty Dark Comedy from Theatre Unleashed
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Birthday Boys have expired.
The last date listed for The Birthday Boys was Saturday April 30, 2011 / 8:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $60.00 - $95.00
- Our Price:
- $60.00 - $95.00
Hailed as "the best musical of this century" by Ben Brantley of The New York Times and "the funniest musical of all time" by Entertainment Weekly, The Book of Mormon won nine Tony Awards -- including Best Musical -- in its first year on Broadway. Now the national touring production is back at the Pantages for a second round of hilarity. Written by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along with Robert Lopez, the Tony-winning co-creator of Avenue Q, this musical comedy is a show that The Daily Show's Jon Stewart has called "a crowning achievement. So good it makes me angry." Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from My-Hoang Moreno
view more less of this review
Birthday Boys is amazing! I've been recommending people to see it all weekend. There isn't a moment during the play where you're not laughing or on the edge of your seat waiting to see what's next for the boys. This play is one I won't soon forget.
Quotes & Highlights
- "Director Jacob Smith's spot-on timing effectively modulates transitions from lighter discussions of women and home lives to darker topics such as war and impending doom. Fitzgerald, as the most intense and combative of the three, genuinely makes us dislike him at times; Martyka, though quiet for long spells, believably exudes shame for attempting to abandon his brothers; Crafts, as the most mature and levelheaded of the men, pleasantly subverts the stereotypical Marine. And to top it all off, there's an unexpected twist that takes the comedy to a whole new level." --<em>LA Weekly</em> (GO!)
- Follow <em>The Birthday Boys</em>' behind-the-scenes <a target="_blank" href="http://www.theatreunleashed.com/main/blog/25-the-process/136-boot-camp-week-two.html">blog</a>.
- To honor the military, Theatre Unleashed invites all active and former military personnel to see the show for free and will donate a portion of ticket sales to the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.fallenheroesfund.org">Intrepid Fallen Hero Fund</a>.
- "Theatre Unleashed has delivered yet another show chock full of great performances. Principals Gregory Crafts, Sean Fitzgerald and Jim Martyka sustain an impressive level of tension through the better part of the show. Director Jacob Smith skillfully modulates the piece's tensions and eruption, the humor and the quiet reflections. Well done." --LA Splash
- "<em>The Birthday Boys</em> is a high-tension, clock-ticking-away dramatic thriller with an ending that (like it or not) you'll never guess." - LAist.com
The Birthday Boys
by Aaron Kozak
Directed by Jacob Smith
Set in 2006 Iraq, The Birthday Boys is a gritty and terrifying dark comedy that tracks three United States Marines who have been taken hostage, bound and blindfolded, as they do whatever’s necessary to keep their sanity and stay alive. The show, which earned rave reviews from critics and patrons alike, took top honors at the 2010 Hollywood Fringe Festival, winning Best World Premiere, because of its clever dialogue, attention to authentic detail and the unique presentation of the three main actors spending a majority of the play bound and blindfolded.