Dickens' Christmas Classic A Christmas Carol from A.C.T.
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for A Christmas Carol have expired.
The last date listed for A Christmas Carol was Thursday December 23, 2010 / 2:00pm.
Currently at A.C.T.:
- Full Price:
- $20.00 - $100.00
- Our Price:
- $12.00 - $60.00
In this modern masterwork -- critically praised as a unique mix of Oscar Wilde and Bertolt Brecht -- the great Irish writer George Bernard Shaw pits a military industrialist against his crusading daughter. She's a Salvation Army major; he's an arms manufacturer and whiskey distiller -- on certain issues, they could not disagree more. But when he begins donating money to her organization, matters come to a head as the characters grapple with questions of business, faith, family and philanthropy. After 16 years, A.C.T. brings Shaw back to the stage with this co-production with Theatre Calgary, one of A.C.T.'s favorite Canadian collaborators, featuring an international cast of Canadian and American actors. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
I used to go to see this A.C.T. show back in the late 80's and early 90's. I liked the version of the production back then MUCH more than this newer version, which I think has been performed the last 2 or 3 years. This production seemed much more "community theater"-like - the sets are not as elaborate, the sound quality not as good, and the characterization of the 3 spirits cheesy (Christmas past WAAAAAY too fruity - he needs to man-up a bit, and lose the swing, for god's sake - I don't blame the actor for this - what could he do with that costume?; future a large puppet, kind of cool but lacking something; present actually a very good actress, so that saved it - she and Scrooge were the bright spots) I know that budgetary constraints may be behind the relative sparseness of the production, but still, I don't like this adaptation as much. I would strongly recommend at least going back to the other production, even if the sets and costumes have to be simpler.
Quotes & Highlights
- "Scrooge is a joy. James Carpenter's stunning central performance as Scrooge in A.C.T.'s A Christmas Carolcan't be upstaged." —San Francisco Chronicle
- "This Carol glows from within. . . . [James Carpenter] gives the kind of note-perfect performance that makes Charles Dickens' holiday classic seem new again." —San Francisco Examiner
- "A smash hit! Holiday traditions don't get any better. —Stark Insider
- "The best Christmas Carol ever! A terrific and imaginative production. Highest rating!" —Jan Wahl, KRON-TV
- "This is a Carol built to banish 'bah humbugs' for years to come!" —Oakland Tribune
- "A holiday treat for the entire family! More lavish and enjoyable than ever . . . contains all of the ingredients of what Christmas is all about." —KGO Radio
by Charles Dickens
Adapted by Carey Perloff and Paul Walsh
Music by Karl Lundeberg
Choreography by Val Caniparoli
Directed by Domenique Lozano
Based on the original direction by Carey Perloff
The Bay Area's favorite holiday tradition returns to A.C.T. with a sparkling, music-infused A Christmas Carol. Bring your family, bring your friends, and check your "humbugs" at the door!