Pearls Over Shanghai: Revival of Comic Mock-Operetta
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Pearls Over Shanghai have expired.
The last date listed for Pearls Over Shanghai was Saturday July 19, 2014 / 8:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $25.00 - $40.00
- Our Price:
- $12.50 - $20.00
Sure, war is hell, but when author Kurt Vonnegut is telling the tale, it can be hellishly funny, too. Perhaps the greatest American humorist since Twain, Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions) is at his absolutely best in Slaughterhouse-Five, recounting the horrors of World War II with sly wit, sci-fi zaniness and the profound insight of a survivor and veteran. Now the Custom Made Theatre Co. brings this modern literary masterpiece to the stage with a brilliant adaptation by Oscar-winner Eric Simonson. An ensemble of 11 actors plays dozens of characters in a production enriched with Vonnegut-inspired animations and an evocative set. Deeply hilarious from the get-go -- and increasingly moving as the story progresses -- Slaughterhouse-Five is one play you won't soon forget. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
star this review starred report as inappropriate
The show is like a soap bubble - pretty and glistening and as insubstantial as...well, a soap bubble. The songs are well-performed (for the most part) , though sadly two of the three "original" Cockettes they dusted off for the show should have...continued
Quotes & Highlights
- “A true San Francisco tradition continues! …opium dream sequence, nudity and a 1930s toe-tapping musical vibe that never ever quits.” —Potrero View
- “Pearls Over Shanghai is historically hysterical.” —Theatre World Internet Magazine
- “All together, this cast is a well-oiled, eye-popping, immoral machine of hysteria.” —SF Bay Times
- “Pearls Over Shanghai still marks another happy reunion of the Cockettes and Thrillpeddlers, two theatrical groups separated by 40 years that still seem to have been destined to be collaborators in sinfully silly glory.” —Bay Area Reporter
- “This Show Is A Winner – It’s An Epic Spectacle.” —Leehartgravetonight