Pearls Over Shanghai: Revival of Comic Mock-Operetta
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Pearls Over Shanghai have expired.
The last date listed for Pearls Over Shanghai was Saturday July 19, 2014 / 8:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $50.00 - $80.00
- Our Price:
- $35.00 - $50.00
Michael Urie of Ugly Betty and Broadway fame (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying), stars in this award-winning comedy about a struggling actor with a very odd job. In Buyer & Cellar, Alex (Urie) works in the basement "mall" of Hollywood and Broadway mega-star Barbra Streisand's Malibu home, essentially selling her own collectibles back to her. When the diva descends downstairs, she and Alex form an unlikely -- and unstable -- friendship. Buyer & Cellar is a hilarious comedy about the cost of things and the true cost of fame. Playwright Jonathan Tolins (The Twilight of the Golds, Secrets of the Trade) reunites with Urie for this production, after working with him on the TV series Partners. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
star this review starred report as inappropriate
The show is like a soap bubble - pretty and glistening and as insubstantial as...well, a soap bubble. The songs are well-performed (for the most part) , though sadly two of the three "original" Cockettes they dusted off for the show should have...continued
Quotes & Highlights
- “A true San Francisco tradition continues! …opium dream sequence, nudity and a 1930s toe-tapping musical vibe that never ever quits.” —Potrero View
- “Pearls Over Shanghai is historically hysterical.” —Theatre World Internet Magazine
- “All together, this cast is a well-oiled, eye-popping, immoral machine of hysteria.” —SF Bay Times
- “Pearls Over Shanghai still marks another happy reunion of the Cockettes and Thrillpeddlers, two theatrical groups separated by 40 years that still seem to have been destined to be collaborators in sinfully silly glory.” —Bay Area Reporter
- “This Show Is A Winner – It’s An Epic Spectacle.” —Leehartgravetonight