Tour San Francisco's Hidden Gems: Secrets of the '20s and '30s
* Additional fees apply.
Turn any event into a gift that's…
Can be sent via email or mail.
Experiences that create memories make the greatest gifts.
Select Your Date
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Steve Monroe
view more less of this review
Alice was very knowledgeable about the history, answered a lot of questions, and was extremely accommodating to the group. The only downside to the tour was that since my friend and I chose a Sunday to attend, a few of the lobbies were not accessible to view the artwork/architecture. Its amazing how one might see a building in a whole different light once a tidbit is known about that building.
star this review starred report as inappropriate
Kimberly & Alice were dressed in vintage clothing. They were fun! The murals at the Rincon Center were the most interesting to me. They expanded their focus to architecture around Union Square; I feel they tried to include too much in this tour.
- You're encouraged to come dressed in swanky period fashion. Your guide will be wearing her finest clothes from the era.
- See the hidden gems of 1920s and ‘30s art deco San Francisco.
- Your guide is a long-term afficianado and authority of art deco San Francisco.
- Learn about Timothy Pflueger, one of San Francisco's most prominent, prolific and respected architects and designers.
- See watercolor murals painted by Anton Refregier.
- View sculptures created by Ralph Stackpole.
- Fun and interesting historical information will be provided by your knowledgeable and entertaining guide.
- For future exploring on your own, you'll receive maps and photos of other hidden gems worth seeking out as well as notes from your tour.
Your Guide: Alice Jurow
A Bay Area art deco expert and recovering architect, lecturer and author, Alice has given tours of the SF Bay area’s art and architecture for historical preservation societies and curious visitors for many years. She knows many of the hidden gems and oddities that even locals aren’t aware of, such as WPA art, architectural archetypes and things saved from the wrecking ball. As an avid collector and wearer of vintage clothing, don’t be surprised to see her in her finest vintage outfits.
This 2 to 2.5-hour walking tour does include some hills. Please bring drinking water.
About the Ticket Supplier: Explore San FranciscoAfter you've seen the tourist attractions, come explore San Francisco with us and see the city as a local. Be at the table for a one-time only pop up restaurant. Shop the boutiques of Pacific Heights. Take a leisurely stroll through Chinatown and North Beach and eat where the locals eat. Experience a wine tour without leaving the city. See wild flocks of parrots.Have a cup of coffee where Jack Kerouac sat.
Visit a Buddhist monastery, a chocolate factory. Savor the flavors of the Mission District and then visit it's world famous murals. And if you really want to we'll take you to the lunch truck that serves up insects.