Hidden Talents: Ballet San Jose Showcases Young Choreographers
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for Ballet San Jose: Hidden Talents was Friday February 27, 2009 / 8:00pm.
Most Popular Dance Event Nearby
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
See dancers who have received acclaim on TV and on stages around the world as The Lively Foundation… More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from James K Cope
view more less of this review
If I had to summarize this experience with others, I would say it was a beautifully performed series of short, contemporary ballets. The seats were awesome for the price and the venue very classy. To share any more than this would be to give away the programs. I had my favorites and my reasons, but will leave this "review" to say only that it was a very entertaining cultural event. The intermissions seemed kind of long (there were two of them), but I also understand that this was a compilation of five different programs, so there were set, lighting, and musician considerations that contributed to that. All in all, I would recommendd anyone getting the chance go see this production.
star this review starred report as inappropriate
The venue was easy to get to via public transportation. The seats were great and very close to the stage. The program and performances were amazing, contemporary and simply lovely. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. I loved it.
For the first time in nearly a decade, Ballet San Jose presents a program of world premiere ballets showcasing the choreographic talents of their Company dancers. Preston Dugger, Karen Gabay, Tiffany Glenn, Alexsandra Meijer and Dalia Rawson have drawn inspiration from the music of György Ligeti, John Legend, Astor Piazzolla, Björk, Agustín Bardi, and Bay Area recording artists Loop!Station to create a spectacular celebration of artistic innovation.
*Languishing for Love
Contemporary ballet for 2 dancers; a solo for a male dancer and a pas de deux. “Languishing for Love is a contemporary piece I created to convey a love story. Maykel Solas and Shannon Bynum are the two star dancers in the piece. The music is from the artist Björk. The piece is a story about the trials and tribulations some relationships go through in order to move forward and live in today’s society.”
107 Steps (solo) Maykel Solas
I’ve Seen it All (pas de deux) Maykel Solas and Shannon Bynum
- Choreographer: Karen Gabay
This is an expansion of a small piece that Ms. Gabay worked on a few years ago for “Pointe of Departure” in Cleveland. It is a “theater piece” with a compilation of different musical artists and choreography that is tango based but incorporates classical ballet steps. Originally created with only 7 dancers, the piece will be expanded to 20 dancers and a full stage.
Music: Compilation of tangos:
- " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- La Cumparsita: Rodriguez-Maroni-Contursi (recording: Jose Basso and his orchestra) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Mi Buenos Aires Querido: Gardel- La Pera (recording: Carlos Garcia and his Orchestra) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Oblivion: Astor Piazzolla (recording: Hommage a Piazolla) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- La Yumba: Pugliese (Osvaldo Puliiese and His Orchestra) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Cambalache: Disepolo (Julio Sosa featuring Leopoldo Federico and his traditional orchestra) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Buenos Aires hora Cero: Astor Piazzolla (recording: Hommage a Piazolla) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- C. T.V. Tango: Agustin Bardi (recording: Buenos Aires Tango 2) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- La Trampera-milanga: Anibal Trolio (recording: Buenos Aires Tango 2) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Duende y Misterio: Carlos Corrales & Neotango (recording Buenos Aires Tango 2) " ":http://www.balletsanjose.org/dancers/pdugger.htm
- Fuga Y Misterio: Astor Piazzolla (recording: The 12 cellists of the BPO-Juline Banse)
Choreographer: Tiffany Glenn
Inspired by the music of R&B singer and songwriter John Legend, this is a contemporary ballet with three sections and is danced by 5 women and 7 men. The Principal Dancers are Amy Marie Briones, Ramon Moreno, Seth Parker, and Hao Bo. The other dancers are Erena Ishii with Michael Wagley, Mirai Noda with Akira Takahashi, Cynthia Sheppard with Peter Hershey, and Mallory Welsh with Shuai Chen.
“My style is ‘Glenn Movement’ which is a mixture of ballet, modern, jazz and natural African-American dance.”
Music: Three songs by John Legend, R&B songwriter/singer: Show Me, Where Did My Baby Go?, and Coming Home.
The Way We Fall
Choreographer: Aleksandra Meijer
Contemporary ballet in pointe shoes for four couples.
Travis Walker / Junna Ige
Willie Anderson / Harriet McMeekin
Jeremy Kovitch / Sarah Stein
Robert Raney / Keira Schwartz
The theme is relationships.
Music: Three songs: Theory of Noise, The Last Time I Saw You, and a new piece, All You Want, which is being created just for the ballet.
Composer: Loop!Station… A Bay Area group consisting of vocalist, Robin Coomer and cellist, Sam Bass with multiple layered ‘loops’ creating provocative modern classical orchestral compositions. They will be performing live on stage alongside the dancers. The show will coincide with the release of their latest/4th album. (The new piece will be included on the album.)
*(“metal” in Hungarian)
Choreographer: Dalia Rawson
“This is an abstract, contemporary ballet, choreographed using the classical vocabulary with women on pointe. It is inspired by the dancers themselves and the complex Ligeti music. The music will be performed live by pianist Michael McGraw, onstage with the dancers.”
9 dancers: Shannon Bynum, Daniel Gwatkin, Peter Hershey, Maria Jacobs-Yu, Kaleena Opdyke, Seth Parker, Michael Wagley, Mallory Welsh and Jing Zhang.
Music: Four of György Ligeti’s Etudes which were written between 1985 and 2001 and two Cappricios written in 1947.
Fèm, Etude No. 8 (All)
Cordes a Vide, Etude No. 2 (pas de deux Welsh + Hershey)
Capriccio No. 1 (solo for Maria Jacobs-Yu)
Arc-en-ciel, Etude No. 5 (pas de deux for Opdyke + Gwatkin)
Pour Irina, Etude No. 16 (solo for Zhang)
Capriccio No. 2 (All)