Peninsula Symphony Performs American Traditions at San Mateo PAC
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for Peninsula Symphony Performs American Traditions was Friday May 19, 2006 / 8:00pm.
- Fanfare for the Common Man, Aaron Copland
- Concert Suite, Gwyneth Walker
- Symphony No. 2 (“Romantic”), Howard Hanson
- When Johnnie Comes Marching Home, Roy Harris
- Amber Waves, Morton Gould
- Rhapsody in Blue, George Gershwin
Thomas Hansen, one of the Bay Area’s most dynamic and distinctive pianists, will perform a jewel of the American repertoire, George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”, possibly the greatest fusion of jazz and classical music ever penned. The San Mateo County Times has called Hansen’s playing “fresh, scintillating and lyrical”. A respected teacher, Mr. Hansen serves on the faculties of Notre Dame de Namur University in Belmont, Crestmont Conservatory of Music in San Mateo, and the Nueva School in Hillsborough.
Other highlights of the American Traditions program include: the West Coast Premiere of Gwyneth Walker’s “Concert Suite”, Aaron Copland’s stirring tune, the “Fanfare for the Common Man” signifying the strength and sense of purpose of the Greatest Generation of Americans, and Howard Hanson’s Second Symphony, the broad-shouldered, robust statement of Midwestern energy and ardor. The Symphony will also perform several rousing works, Roy Harris’ “When Johnnie Comes Marching Home”, and Morton Gould’s “Amber Waves”. Join the Peninsula Symphony in this celebration of our nation’s musical treasures.