Jamaica, Farewell, a Stunning One-Woman Show, at Santa Monica Playhouse
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Jamaica, Farewell have expired.
The last date listed for Jamaica, Farewell was Saturday September 12, 2009 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Santa Monica Playhouse:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
- $10.00 - $17.50
Jamaica, Farewell returns to the Santa Monica Playhouse after successful runs all over the world. Debra Ehrhardt's solo show is based on a mostly true story about her journey to the U.S. from Jamaica in the turbulent 1970s of the Manley era. When Ehrhardt was an 18-year-old secretary in Kingston, she and her passion for America bumped into a handsome CIA agent over a bowl of oxtail soup. She decides to squeeze through the pinhole of opportunity with the help of this love-struck American. Her way out of Jamaica is blocked by many obstacles: an alcoholic father, a Bible-spouting mother, the price of airfare, and U.S. government suspicions. Nevertheless, she begins a dangerous adventure that only the single-minded passion of a teenage girl would chance. The boundary between bravery and foolishness becomes blurred as she grows more desperate. When she agrees to smuggle a million dollars in cash to a mysterious contact somewhere in Miami, the agent becomes her unwitting accomplice. Every part is played by NAACP Award winner Ehrhardt, an actress capable of amazing mimicry. This one-woman caper's got generous dollops of humor, laughter and light. Jamaica, Farewell has been optioned for film by a major Hollywood producer. Learn More
Take the short walk down the street to Border Grill. Excellent food and drink!!info • Feb 23 2013 star this tip starred
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- "Powerful...with wit and a melodic Jamaican lilt, Ehrhardt proves to be an entertaining and charming raconteur." --The New Yorker
- "Fantastic! An emotional journey that does full justice to the drama of her life-changing off-stage odyssey" --Time Out NY
- "Flashes of wit and genuine lyricism combined with an adventure that might make James Bond sweat.…gripping and marvelously funny!" --Backstage, NY
- "Winning! The evening’s real pleasure is simply Ehrhardt herself, She’s got it going on, living every day like Independence Day." -- Los Angeles Times
- "A terrific story with wit and panache...suspenseful enough for a thriller and deliciously funny" --LA Weekly
- "Not since Nia Vardalos' My Big Fat Greek Wedding has there been such a captivating and hilarious one-person show" --Livelyarts.com
- “A fast-paced twelve round knock-out that leaves you chuckling and dewy-eyed at the same time.” --Producer/News Anchor Bree Walker
- “Debra’s performance is stunning and evocative as she weaves a journey of love, whimsy and intrigue. She tugs at your heartstrings in her determinationto win, and with grace.” --Academy Award Nominated Producer Karolyn Ali
<p>Written and performed by Debra Ehrhardt
Directed by Monique Lai (Francis Megahy on 1/25)
Produced by The Jamaica Cultural Alliance</p> <p>Santa Monica Playhouse presents Debra Ehrhardt’s auto-bio-solo show about the wild roller coaster ride of suspense, intrigue, seduction and manipulation that was her journey to the USA from Jamaica, and how she risked everything in order to fulfill her lifelong dream of starting over in America.</p>