Critically-Acclaimed Solo Show New Eyes Returns to Santa Monica Playhouse
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for New Eyes have expired.
The last date listed for New Eyes was Sunday August 3, 2014 / 7:00pm.
Currently at Santa Monica Playhouse:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Stogie Kenyatta's one-man show about African-American artist/activist Paul Robeson has been called powerful and poignant, entertaining and educational, heartfelt and humorous. It's the amazing true story of the Columbia Law School graduate and early NFL player who gained notoriety in London by starring in Show Boat and Othello and recording deep-voiced renditions of spirituals like his famed "Ol' Man River." Robeson was also an outspoken civil rights activist who fought to end racism and oppression and became a target of the McCarthy hearings. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Kenyon At WorkRed Velvet
view more less of this review
As good as everyone said it would be! Quality acting, writing and production. Full of heart and humor. I plan on recommending it to others, who I think will also be touched. Just FYI, I'm not Jewish* and do not understand Hebrew, but still found it so relatable on so many other levels. (*A lot of the audience seemed to be on the night we attended, judging by the laughter during some parts.)
Quotes & Highlights
- “Josephson is a winning presence, and her impersonations of pushy parents, showbiz types and Israeli ‘playas’ land on target.” —The Los Angeles Times
- “An accomplished performance! Hilarious… Beneath the comedy lies a serious undercurrent stemming from the ongoing war in the Middle East.” —LA Weekly
- “The show is good for Israel. It shows Israel’s human face and that human face is Yafit Josephson.” —Jewish Journal
- “Josephson’s boundless energy and desire to share her story transform her narrative from the traditionally cathartic autobiographical tale to one that is inspirational.” —Backstage
- “It’s a big enough challenge for most actors to portray one role successfully. Imagine taking on 18 in one play. With New Eyes, Yafit Josephson tackled the Everest of theatrical mountains.” —Tucson Lifestyle Magazine
- Check out a video trailer for New Eyes.
- Read what Goldstar members had to say about this show’s previous runs in Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks.
Performed by Yafit Josephson
Written by Yafit Josephson & Suzanne Bressler
Directed by Sammie Wayne
Produced by Eliad Josephson