Critically-Acclaimed Solo Show New Eyes Returns to Santa Monica Playhouse
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for New Eyes have expired.
The last date listed for New Eyes was Sunday August 3, 2014 / 7:00pm.
Currently at Santa Monica Playhouse:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Set entirely on a San Francisco BART train, 2 Across follows the hilarious, poignant, literal and emotional journey of two strangers who meet while doing the New York Times crossword puzzle. She's a sensible psychologist; he's a free-spirited, unemployed ad exec. She's a crossword pro; he always quits. When he tosses his puzzle away, she snaps, "Crosswords are a metaphor for life: Those who finish, succeed; those who don't, fail." The 80 minutes of sparkling dialogue that ensue transition from light banter to moving emotional catharsis as these two unlikely conversationalists roll down the tracks toward a destination neither one of them saw coming. Playwright Jerry Mayer is no stranger to writing snappy dialogue. His talents as a television writer on shows like M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Facts of Life translate perfectly to the live stage in this witty look at the ups and downs male/female relationships. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Kenyon At WorkRed Velvet
view more less of this review
As good as everyone said it would be! Quality acting, writing and production. Full of heart and humor. I plan on recommending it to others, who I think will also be touched. Just FYI, I'm not Jewish* and do not understand Hebrew, but still found it so relatable on so many other levels. (*A lot of the audience seemed to be on the night we attended, judging by the laughter during some parts.)
Quotes & Highlights
- “Josephson is a winning presence, and her impersonations of pushy parents, showbiz types and Israeli ‘playas’ land on target.” —The Los Angeles Times
- “An accomplished performance! Hilarious… Beneath the comedy lies a serious undercurrent stemming from the ongoing war in the Middle East.” —LA Weekly
- “The show is good for Israel. It shows Israel’s human face and that human face is Yafit Josephson.” —Jewish Journal
- “Josephson’s boundless energy and desire to share her story transform her narrative from the traditionally cathartic autobiographical tale to one that is inspirational.” —Backstage
- “It’s a big enough challenge for most actors to portray one role successfully. Imagine taking on 18 in one play. With New Eyes, Yafit Josephson tackled the Everest of theatrical mountains.” —Tucson Lifestyle Magazine
- Check out a video trailer for New Eyes.
- Read what Goldstar members had to say about this show’s previous runs in Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks.
Performed by Yafit Josephson
Written by Yafit Josephson & Suzanne Bressler
Directed by Sammie Wayne
Produced by Eliad Josephson