Sylvia: A.R. Gurney's Comedy About a Man, a Woman and a Dog Presented by Edgemar Center
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Sylvia have expired.
The last date listed for Sylvia was Sunday January 29, 2012 / 5:00pm.
Currently at Edgemar Center for the Arts:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
N. Richard Nash's The Rainmaker has it all: faith, love, humor, emotion and even a little magic. Farm girl Lizzie Curry is best described as "plain." Her marriage prospects and dreams of escape are as dry as her family's drought-ridden farm. Her dad and brothers' efforts to marry her off are laughable. Enter the fast-thinking, smooth-talking "rainmaker" Starbuck, who could solve both the romantic issue and drought problem. Lizzie's father gives the man the last of the family's savings and holds onto his hat. Will Starbuck turn out to be a con man and a liar, or is he a hero with magical powers? Nash's funny and poignant American tale brings out the true power of hope during hard times. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- Watch video of a previous take on Sylvia at the Edgemar Center for the Arts.
- “Tanna Frederick shines in ‘Sylvia.’ Tanna totally embraces this role and has such ‘doggone’ fun in bringing Sylvia to life. It is infectious.” --Examiner.com
- “Tanna Frederick is truly brilliant as Sylvia. She embodies the fun-loving, childlike spirit of the dog.” --Huffington Post
- “A guy in both midlife crisis and a stale marriage is an old story, but throw in a rambunctious adopted dog—-played by an insouciant and lovely actress—-and you have a play that is both poignant and laugh-out-loud funny.” --Whole Life Times
- “More fun than a barrel of puppies. Frederick is nothing short of terrific.” --ReviewPlays.com
- “Tanna Frederick is a delight…. Dog lovers everywhere (and that must be half of L.A.) will love this play.” --The Gregory Mantell Show
About the Ticket Supplier: Edgemar Center for the Arts
Theatre, dance, music, film, and visual arts come together in one place. Students and seasoned professionals perform side-by-side--their work is a culmination of workshops, rehearsals, and collaboration across disciplines. This is the purpose and the realization of a Center for the Arts. Nestled between a cafÃ(c), salon, retail shops, and an annex of the Museum of Contemporary Art store, Edgemar Center for the Arts is the anchor of the Edgemar complex on Main Street in Santa Monica. The interior courtyard provides a hub for activity and a cross-pollination of artists, businesses, residents and visitors to this beachside destination. The complex is a stop on the tour of local gems designed by architect Frank Gehry.