Sylvia: A.R. Gurney's Comedy About a Man, a Woman and a Dog Presented by Edgemar Center
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Sylvia have expired.
The last date listed for Sylvia was Sunday January 29, 2012 / 5:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- $60.00 - $95.00
- Our Price:
- $60.00 - $95.00
Hailed as "the best musical of this century" by Ben Brantley of The New York Times and "the funniest musical of all time" by Entertainment Weekly, The Book of Mormon won nine Tony Awards -- including Best Musical -- in its first year on Broadway. Now the national touring production is back at the Pantages for a second round of hilarity. Written by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along with Robert Lopez, the Tony-winning co-creator of Avenue Q, this musical comedy is a show that The Daily Show's Jon Stewart has called "a crowning achievement. So good it makes me angry." Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from william daugherty
view more less of this review
Gurney's play suits Ms Frederick perfectly. She seems to be naturally active, by turns graceful and graceless, almost adolescent. (We have seen her in other plays.) The role of Sylvia fits like a glove. The other actors are fine (one must mention Tom Ayers, who makes the most of gimmick casting) but the real force of the evening is in the play itself. A fine evening, light and funny, but not without enough meat for conversation after.
Quotes & Highlights
- Watch video of <a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipVkNURe3U">a previous take on <em>Sylvia</em></a> at the Edgemar Center for the Arts.
- “Tanna Frederick shines in ‘Sylvia.’ Tanna totally embraces this role and has such ‘doggone’ fun in bringing Sylvia to life. It is infectious.” --Examiner.com
- “Tanna Frederick is truly brilliant as Sylvia. She embodies the fun-loving, childlike spirit of the dog.” --Huffington Post
- “A guy in both midlife crisis and a stale marriage is an old story, but throw in a rambunctious adopted dog—-played by an insouciant and lovely actress—-and you have a play that is both poignant and laugh-out-loud funny.” --Whole Life Times
- “More fun than a barrel of puppies. Frederick is nothing short of terrific.” --ReviewPlays.com
- “Tanna Frederick is a delight…. Dog lovers everywhere (and that must be half of L.A.) will love this play.” --The Gregory Mantell Show
About the Ticket Supplier: Edgemar Center for the Arts
Theatre, dance, music, film, and visual arts come together in one place. Students and seasoned professionals perform side-by-side—their work is a culmination of workshops, rehearsals, and collaboration across disciplines. This is the purpose and the realization of a Center for the Arts. Nestled between a cafÃ©, salon, retail shops, and an annex of the Museum of Contemporary Art store, Edgemar Center for the Arts is the anchor of the Edgemar complex on Main Street in Santa Monica. The interior courtyard provides a hub for activity and a cross-pollination of artists, businesses, residents and visitors to this beachside destination. The complex is a stop on the tour of local gems designed by architect Frank Gehry.