The Rainmaker, the Tony-Nominated Romantic Comedy
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Rainmaker have expired.
The last date listed for The Rainmaker was Sunday December 22, 2013 / 5:00pm.
Most Popular Theater Event Nearby:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Hailed as "the best musical of this century" by Ben Brantley of The New York Times and "the funniest musical of all time" by Entertainment Weekly, The Book of Mormon won nine Tony Awards -- including Best Musical -- in its first year on Broadway. Now the national touring production is back at the Pantages for a second round of hilarity. Written by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along with Robert Lopez, the Tony-winning co-creator of Avenue Q, this musical comedy is a show that The Daily Show's Jon Stewart has called "a crowning achievement. So good it makes me angry." Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- <em>The Rainmaker </em>won several StageSceneLA "Scenie" Awards in 2013, including: Production of the Year, Best Performance by a Lead Actress, Best Performance by a Lead Actor and Best Ensemble Cast Performance.
- "Unless you see the current production at the Edgemar Center, you've simply never seen this play. In a definitive staging, director Jack Heller smooths over the piece's limitations and crafts a striking, specific portrait of a bygone time." --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-the-rainmaker-at-the-edgemar-center-20130115,0,6302211.story "><em>Los Angeles Times</em></a> (Critic's Choice)
- "<em>The Rainmaker </em>hasn’t lost an iota of its humor, charm, and broad audience appeal since its 1954 debut. It’s that rarity, a comedy classic that conservative Republicans and progressive Democrats can find themselves cheering with identical whoops and hollers." --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.stagescenela.com/2013/01/the-rainmaker-2"><em>StageSceneLA</em></a>
- "Director Jack Heller has done an amazing task in assembling this talented cast of actors... [A] very delicious production which would have made playwright N. Richard Nash proud." --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Los_Angeles_Entertainment_109/ron-gilbert-reviews-the-rainmaker-a-theatrical-production.php"><em>LA Splash</em></a>
- "All the players are ablaze in this terrific version of N. Richard Nash’s classic play ... but, bottom line, the play belongs to Tanna Frederick, and Meryl Streep couldn’t do it better." --<a target="_blank" href="http://cynthiacitron.com/the-rainmaker-a-man-a-spinster-and-a-little-magic/">cynthiacitron.com</a>
Set in a drought-ridden rural town in the West in Depression-era America, the play tells the story of a pivotal hot summer day in the life of spinsterish Lizzie Curry. Lizzie keeps house for her father and two brothers on the family cattle ranch. She has just returned from a trip to visit pseudo-cousins (all male), which was undertaken with the failed expectation that she would find a husband. As their farm languishes under the devastating drought, Lizzie's family worries about her marriage prospects more than about their dying cattle. A charming confidence trickster named Starbuck arrives and promises to bring rain in exchange for $100.....
About the Ticket Supplier: Edgemar Center for the Arts
Theatre, dance, music, film, and visual arts come together in one place. Students and seasoned professionals perform side-by-side—their work is a culmination of workshops, rehearsals, and collaboration across disciplines. This is the purpose and the realization of a Center for the Arts. Nestled between a cafÃ©, salon, retail shops, and an annex of the Museum of Contemporary Art store, Edgemar Center for the Arts is the anchor of the Edgemar complex on Main Street in Santa Monica. The interior courtyard provides a hub for activity and a cross-pollination of artists, businesses, residents and visitors to this beachside destination. The complex is a stop on the tour of local gems designed by architect Frank Gehry.