Counter Men: New Dramedy About Life on the Iraq War Homefront
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Counter Men have expired.
The last date listed for Counter Men was Saturday August 27, 2011 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Whitefire Theatre:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
- $5.00 - $12.50
After a near-miss on the racetrack, NASCAR driver Bobby Horvath returns home to his Midwestern hometown where he must confront his career's downward projection in this revival of John Bishop's Broadway drama. With a rich cast of characters, including family members, fellow drivers, racing groupies, union leaders and factory workers, The Trip Back Down takes place over two decades of Horvath's life, and is told through a series of flashbacks where his past collides with his present. Bishop was a member of the acclaimed Circle Repertory Company and this play was his first Broadway success before his Hollywood writing career. The revival stars soap opera actor Nick Stabile as Horvath and is directed by Terri Hanauer. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Quotes & Highlights
- "Touching monologues...charged with empathy." --Variety
- "Director Richard Kuhlman's impressive maneuvering....good feel for this world premiere...a character piece, and a funny one." --LA Weekly
- "Riveting...the actors are wonderful...the stories are moving." --<a target="_blank" href="http://broadwayworld.com/">BroadWayworld.com</a>
- "Exceptionally well written and well directed" --LA Theatre Review
- "Wonderful ensemble…honest and openhearted performances..this new play is both timely and touching." --Topenga Messenger
- "Terrific direction by Richard Kuhlman...This timely play gives us the opportunity to think about how we feel...you will leave the theatre more compassionate." --<a target="_blank" href="http://NoHoArtsDistrict.com">NoHoArtsDistrict.com</a>
Love, war and occasionally music break out as the mother of a Marine in Iraq waits on the Counter Men, all single, some vets, who frequent the L.A. restaurant where she works. The country’s mood and its military entanglements, the frustrations of unemployment and sex are on the menu. Counter Men is poignant and prurient - - a play punctuated by song compliments of a counter man who uses his laptop as his orchestra. This new play, both timely and touching, exposes the fundamental truth that in the end - - love is the solution.
The cast features Marion Ramsey, Bart Braverman, Naila Browne, Ted Elrick, Paul Haitkin, Vanessa Herrera, Dave Kirkpatrick, Shelly Kurtz, Anna Nicholas, Marion Ramsey, Michael Ruesga, Amro Salama, Carol Soldo, Michael Uribes and Alan Woolf.
Marion Ramsey, who is best known for her starring role as the timid, squeaky-voiced officer LaVerne Hooks in the six Police Academy movies has also starred on TV and Broadway. Other films are Recipe for Disaster and Maniacts. She has starred on Broadway, Europe, UK and the West Coast in Cinderella, Grind, Little Shop of Horrors, Eubie, Body and Soul and Scarlett/Gone with the Wind. Some of her TV credits include: The Nanny, 90210, The 3rd ABC Comedy Awards, Daddy Dearest, Robot Chicken and Tim and Erik's Awesome Show.