George Bernard Shaw's Masterful Satire of Humanity's Shortcomings
* Additional fees apply.
Turn any event into a gift that's…
Can be sent via email or mail.
Experiences that create memories make the greatest gifts.
Select Your Date
- Fri, Mar 7 @ 8:00pm Check Availability $25.00
- Sat, Mar 8 @ 2:30pm Check Availability $20.00
- Sat, Mar 8 @ 8:00pm Check Availability $25.00
- Sun, Mar 9 @ 2:30pm Check Availability $20.00
- Thu, Mar 13 @ 7:30pm Check Availability $20.00
- Fri, Mar 14 @ 8:00pm Check Availability $25.00
- Sat, Mar 15 @ 2:30pm Check Availability $20.00
- Sat, Mar 15 @ 8:00pm Check Availability $25.00
- Sun, Mar 16 @ 2:30pm Check Availability $20.00
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Philip John
view more less of this review
These two plays, parts of a set of five done by Shaw after WWI are, in one sense, typical Shaw, who always seems to me to be more interested in advancing a polemical diatribe than in writing an actual play. That puts a special burden on the director and the actors. The Washington Theater Guild pulls it off beautifully, as usual.
Quotes & Highlights
- "The project is a big push for the troupe and pure protein for a niche audience with long attention spans ... A lot of the discussion sounds current, even without director Bill Largess deploying much in the small Undercroft Theatre besides good clean speech to coax Shaw’s ideas our way." --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/washington-stage-guild-gives-mostly-thrilling-voice-to-shaws-relevant-back-to-methuselah/2014/02/25/383e21e4-9e41-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html"><em>The Washington Post </em></a>
- "For anyone fond of Shaw, or, for that matter, anyone who delights in the witty and thoughtful interplay of words and ideas on stage, this is an opportunity not to be missed." --<a target="_blank" href="http://washingtondc.showbizradio.com/2014/02/review-wsg-back-to-methuselah/">showbizradio.com</a>
- "Washington Stage Guild’s <em>Back to Methuselah </em>is fascinating. There is a myriad of reasons to see it, and here is a unique and rare opportunity to experience this hidden Shavian gem." --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2014/02/24/back-to-methuselah-at-washington-stage-guild-by-amanda-gunther/"><em>DC Metro Theater Arts</em></a> (five stars)
- "The set is appealingly minimal, the blocking clear and simple, the plot both minimal and simple. All the better to leave plenty of room for more ideas and personalities ... the play’s fascinating topics are nowhere near exhausted by night’s end." --<a target="_blank" href="http://dctheatrescene.com/2014/02/28/back-methuselah-part-1/">DCTheatreScene.com</a> (staff pick)
About the Ticket Supplier: Washington Stage Guild
The Washington Stage Guild produces eloquent plays of idea and argument, passion and wit – plays from all periods of world drama enacted by a classical ensemble with a contemporary sensibility – rare plays, well done!