Record-Breaking Musical Oklahoma! at Arena Stage
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for Oklahoma! have expired.
The last date listed for Oklahoma! was Sunday October 2, 2011 / 2:00pm.
Currently at Arena Stage - Fichandler:
- Full Price:
- $94.00 - $117.00
- Our Price:
- $58.40 - $104.00
Academy Award nominee Kathleen Turner returns to Arena Stage (after a sold-out run in Red Hot Patriot) to star as the tough-as-nails matriarch Mother Courage, who profits off the very war that's stealing her children from her, one by one. But will the cost of war be higher than she's prepared to pay? Broadway-bound artistic director Molly Smith helms this unique in-the-round staging of Bertolt Brecht's powerhouse anti-war drama that cleverly mixes politics and satire with a dozen raucous songs. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
star this review starred report as inappropriate
There is not a bad seat in the house at Arena Stage. The cast immediately brings you right into the show with their amazing energy. The music is timeless and enveloping. Only wish there was sing-along segment! Plan to have a great time!
Quotes & Highlights
- See a cast Q&A on <a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGfHERcmro&feature=player_embedded#!">YouTube</a>.
- See a video featuring highlights from the show's earlier run at the Mead Center for American Theater on <a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGspfOf3yg">YouTube</a>.
- “Superb … just as radiant the second time around.” --<a target="_blank" href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/oklahoma-makes-a-joyful-return-to-arena-stage/2011/07/17/gIQA59EaKI_story.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews&fb_source=home_multiline"><em>Washington Post</em></a>
- "Generating Broadway buzz" --<em> New York Times</em>
- "just about perfect" -- <em>Bloomberg</em>
- "Infectiously spirited" -- <em>Baltimore Sun</em><em> </em>
- "A rousing crowd-pleaser..." --<em>City Paper</em>
- "outstanding talents" --<em>Metro Weekly</em>
- <em>Oklahoma!</em> received a four-star review from <em>Washingtonian.</em>
- "a must-see" --<em>Washington Life</em>
Music by Richard Rodgers
Directed by Molly Smith
Choreography by Parker Esse
Book and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II
Based on the play Green Grow the Lilacs by Lynn Riggs
Original dances by Agnes de Mille
Musical Direction by George Fulginiti-Shakar
Winner of 4 Helen Hayes Awards:
Outstanding Lead Actor for Nicholas Rodriguez (Curly)
Outstanding Choreography for Parker Esse
Outstanding Musical Direction for George Fulginiti-Shakar
Director Molly Smith: "When I think of the giants of the American musical, Oklahoma! is at the top of the list. Groundbreaking when it was first created, Oklahoma! is about the new frontier of America. All of Arena’s optimism, hopes and dreams will be embodied in this moment of fierce individualism.”
About the Ticket Supplier: Arena Stage
Arena Stage today stands as a flagship American theater. Arena Stage was one of the first not-for-profit theaters in the United States, as well as a pioneer of the regional theater movement. It was the first regional theater to transfer a production to Broadway, the first invited by the U.S. State Department to tour behind the Iron Curtain, and the first to receive a Tony Award. Taking a leadership role in extending theater’s horizons, Arena Stage has implemented groundbreaking policies and programs, promoting diversity in all aspects of theater, from theatergoing to production.
The Arena Stage legacy of world-class productions includes vast epics, charged dramas, rousing musicals, and probing profiles. From the monumental to the developmental, Arena Stage has helped build the canon of American theater. While they produce American classics, Arena Stage premieres new American plays and supported works in progress. They’ve nurtured artistic growth and engaged the community, broadening and intensifying the theatrical experience for one and all. And yet, in spite of it all, in their second half-century they see themselves as more fresh, restless and dynamic than ever.