Death and Harry Houdini: A Magical Theatrical Revival
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for Death and Harry Houdini was Wednesday August 17, 2016 / 7:30pm.
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Goldstar Member
view more less of this review
A creative show w/original scores and lyrics. All actors were good in their skills of voice, dance and acting and magic. The creativity in the play and directing in the lovely space of the theatre was noteworthy. I saw a preview and much needs to be worked out; overly "camp" excuses for the production's 'lack'; and wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. One hour and 45 minutes w/ an intermission would get the theatrical point across. Cut scenes or shorten them, especially the over wrought love scene and the drawn out scenes with mother; maybe the scaffold is too much for actors and a distraction?
report as inappropriate
Inventively staged and a unique opportunity to see beautiful illusions and classic escapes up close and personal in a narrative that provides an appropriate context to appreciate the beauty, invention and timelessness of "Houdini's magic" from the...continued
Quotes & Highlights
- “A highly polished and visually thrilling show … strikingly well-designed and well-executed … magic of the very highest order.” —Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune
- " … high energy and lack of artifice in a loose, buzzy blend of traditional storytelling, music and spectacle … a thrilling ride." —Kris Vire, Time Out Chicago
- “[The show] soars on Dennis Watkins’ brilliance as a genuine magician and fearless stuntman … ingeniously written and directed by Nathan Allen.” —Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times
- “The folks at the House Theatre of Chicago are celebrating their tenth anniversary by remounting their first show — and it makes for a helluva party. … Dennis Watkins is simply magnificent as Houdini.” —Kerry Ried, Chicago Reader
Run time is two hours and 15 minutes with one 15-minute intermission.