The Christmas Schooner: An Annual Family Holiday Tradition
$10 - $55*
$20 - $70
Your whole family will enjoy this heartwarming story of the first Christmas Tree Ship and the people who risked their lives to fill Chicago with the holiday spirit. Based on the shipwrecked Rouse Simmons, The Christmas Schooner is a powerful, moving story with an exquisite score by Chicago favorites John Reeger (book) and Julie Shannon (music and lyrics). The musical has entertained audiences for hundreds of productions, including a 12-year run at Chicago's Bailiwick Repertory Theatre. Set in the late 19th century, this holiday musical tells the song and dance-filled story of a close-knit group of German immigrants who receive a message from a Chicago-based cousin lamenting the lack of traditional Christmas trees. A shipping captain and his crew then undertake a risky late-season journey across the notoriously violent Lake Michigan to deliver the precious timber to the city, carrying with them a full cargo of holiday hope and joy.
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
All offers for The Christmas Schooner have expired.
The last date listed for The Christmas Schooner was Saturday December 31, 2016 / 8:00pm.
Quotes & Highlights
- “A sacred part of a Chicago Christmas!” —Chicago Tribune
- “This year’s voyage is overflowing with sincerity and love, and audiences will indeed ‘Take it, and pass it on.’” —Colin Douglas, Chicago Theater Review
- “A full, uproarious cast finds harmony in the telling of a now classic Chicago holiday show.” —Kaitlyn Kearn, Chicago Stage Standard
- “It is the story itself and the ensemble of actors … that tell this story and make this more than a play, but rather an experience and even better a memory.” —Alan Bresloff, Around the Town Chicago
Running time is 2 hours and 15 minutes, including intermission.