"Genius" Playwright McCraney's The Brothers Size: Acclaimed Drama
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for The Brothers Size was Saturday September 6, 2014 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Fountain Theatre
- Full Price:
- $30 - $35
- Our Price:
Inspired by true events, Stephen Sachs' lively comedy paints a wry and winning portrait of Maude, an… More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from G,H.Red Velvet
view more less of this review
The acting was incredible! The story itself is terribly depressing. Also, the author (or the director?) should give up the annoying affectation of reciting the stage directions. When there are only 3 actors the audience does not have to be told who enters or exits.
report as inappropriate
Loved it so much I saw it twice. Incredible actors (and one is an amazing singer as well), very unique format, enthralling, dynamic, and can be taken on several levels, literally or figuratively. My friend and I talked about it all the way home,...continued
report as inappropriate
Tarell Alvin McCraney is without question the finest playwright in America today, despite his long time spent toiling in the gray, musty gulag of Ivy League academia. Tarell, how on earth did you do that??!
His work is head and shoulders above...continued
Quotes & Highlights
- “This is sure to be one of the season’s memorable productions … seamless physicality and dramatic urgency … intoxicating choreography … The muscular ensemble doesn’t let up for a moment.” —LA Weekly
- “An atmosphere of mythic mystery suffuses Tarrell Alvin McCraney’s compelling drama about family, sacrifice, and deceit … Director Finney enacts the goings on with urgency and vigor, and the cast delivers ferociously intense and organic acting work … affecting both as a work of folklore and as a gritty commentary on the role of African Americans in contemporary American society.” —Stage and Cinema
- “Playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney boasts a rare talent: an utterly distinctive voice. He sounds like no one else, his cadences hearty and beautiful. I am in love with his voice, and in all likelihood you will feel the same way … Rhapsodic flights of poetically rhythmic language and compelling physical immediacy … It all works to splendid effect throughout under the absolutely attuned direction of Shirley Jo Finney.” —The Hollywood Reporter
- “Shirley Jo Finney’s vibrant direction, the vivid choreography and songs, and the remarkable three-man cast make this intimate production richly theatrical.” —Los Angeles Times, Critic’s Pick
The performance is approximately one hour and 25 minutes, with no intermission.
This show contains strong language.