Tony Award-Winning Musical Comedy The Drowsy Chaperone at the Ahmanson
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The Drowsy Chaperone have expired.
The last date listed for The Drowsy Chaperone was Friday July 11, 2008 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Ahmanson Theatre:
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
Barry Manilow returns to his first love, writing musicals, with the much-anticipated Harmony. This musical story of the world's first hit boy band is based on the true tale of six talented young Germans who came together in the 1920s and took the world by storm. With a signature blend of sophisticated close harmonies and hilarious stage antics, the Comedian Harmonists were an actual group that sold millions of records, starred in films and packed the prestigious concert halls around the globe -- until the rise of Nazi Germany split them apart. Inspired by the story, Manilow and his co-creator, writer-lyricist Bruce Sussman, created this musical with an original score that celebrates this extraordinary group of friends and their quest for true harmony in one of the most discordant periods of world history. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
Featured review from Brent Christensen
view more less of this review
A delightful evening of fun. Well directed and creatively presented. A surprise every minute. The reviewers were caught up comparing one cast with a version they saw last year and totally miss the fact that this encarnation is just as entertaining and delightful as it could possibly be. See it.
Quotes & Highlights
- Winner of five Tony Awards, including Best Music and Best Book.
- “Delightful, sparkling entertainment! You’ll be over the moon! We haven’t seen anything quite this original in a long time.” --Associated Press
- “Ingenious! Few productions have ever pulled an audience so immediately and unconditionally on their side.” --<em>New York Times</em>
- “Clever, gleeful and intelligent!” --<em>The New Yorker</em>
- “You’re unlikely to have as funny an evening of theater this season as you will at this hilarious, side-splitting show.” --WNBC-TV
Welcome to The Drowsy Chaperone, the musical comedy with tons of laughs and the most 2006 Tony Awards of any musical on Broadway. It all begins when a die-hard musical fan plays his favorite cast album, a 1928 smash hit called The Drowsy Chaperone, and the show magically bursts to life. The audience is instantly immersed in the glamorous, hilarious tale of a celebrity bride and her uproarious wedding day.
Music and lyrics by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison
Book by Bob Martin and Don McKellar
Directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw