The History Boys: Six-Tony-Award-Winning Play At the Ahmanson
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for The History Boys have expired.
The last date listed for The History Boys was Sunday December 9, 2007 / 1:00pm.
Currently at Ahmanson Theatre:
- Full Price:
- $60.00 - $80.00
- Our Price:
- $30.00 - $40.00
Barry Manilow returns to his first love, writing musicals, with the much-anticipated Harmony. This musical story of the world's first hit boy band is based on the true tale of six talented young Germans who came together in the 1920s and took the world by storm. With a signature blend of sophisticated close harmonies and hilarious stage antics, the Comedian Harmonists were an actual group that sold millions of records, starred in films and packed the prestigious concert halls around the globe -- until the rise of Nazi Germany split them apart. Inspired by the story, Manilow and his co-creator, writer-lyricist Bruce Sussman, created this musical with an original score that celebrates this extraordinary group of friends and their quest for true harmony in one of the most discordant periods of world history. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
star this review starred report as inappropriate
Great seats as usual, however the acoustics for this play wasn't very good. It's the type of play that should be at a smaller theatre as it was hard to hear all the dialogue. Glad I saw the movie prior to seeing the play as it was easier to follow.
Quotes & Highlights
- “Madly enjoyable and enthralling. Alan Bennett’s dialogue is as shimmering and warming as a fine cognac…Pretty much everyone should fall for the charm of <em>The History Boys</em>.” --<em>New York Times</em>
- “Brilliant! A reminder of how entertaining, stimulating, and exhilarating theater can be!” <em>--Daily News</em>
- Awarded "Best Play" by the Tony Awards, New York Drama Critics’ Circle Awards, Drama Desk Awards, Outer Critics Circle Awards, Drama League Awards, Olivier Awards, Evening Standard Awards, and London Critics’ Circle Awards
The History Boys
By Alan Bennett
A hugely successful, sold-out hit at the National Theatre of Great Britain and on Broadway, this brilliant comedy follows the senior year of eight history students in the north of England as they try to crack admission to Oxford and Cambridge. Unruly, bright, talented and amusing, these boys are in natural pursuit of sex, sport and a place at a good university. Their pursuits are guided by their overeager Headmaster, a maverick teacher, and a new instructor whose mandate is to get the boys to think outside the box to get noticed. Very funny and deeply moving, The History Boys explores the anarchy of adolescence, the nature of history, and the methods and aim of education.
Produced by special arrangement with the National Theatre of Great Britain and the producers of the original Broadway production.
- Directed by Paul Miller
- Original Direction by Nicholas Hytner
- Production Design by Bob Crowley
- Lighting Design by Mark Henderson
- Original Sound Design by Colin Pink
- Sound Design by Jon Gottlieb
- John Apicella
- Adam Armstrong
- Ryder Bach
- Alex Brightman
- Charlotte Cornwell
- H. Richard Greene
- Cord Jackman
- Sean Marquette
- Dakin Matthews
- Andrew McClain
- Seth Numrich
- Peter Paige
- Ammar Ramzi
- Demond Robertson
- Brett Ryback
- Edward Tournier
- Elizabeth West