New York Celebrates George Harrison, a Concert Starring Roberta Flack
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for New York Celebrates George Harrison Concert Starring Roberta Flack was Saturday February 26, 2011 / 7:30pm.
Flower Power Creative and Sid Bernstein are hosting a public concert celebrating the late “quiet Beatle,” George Harrison in honor of his 68th birthday. Roberta Flack will be headlining the evening performing popular Beatles songs including “Here Comes the Sun.” Flack will dedicate her Grammy Award winning song “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” to Harrison and will conclude the evening by leading all the participating talent in “Give Me Love/Give Me Peace on Earth.”
- Roberta Flack: GRAMMY Award winning Roberta Flack remains unparalleled in her ability to tell a story through her music. Discovered while singing at the Washington, DC nightclub Mr. Henry’s by jazz musician Les McCann, she was promptly signed to Atlantic with a string of hits, including, “Killing Me Softly With His Song.” In 1999, she aptly received a Star on Hollywood’s legendary Walk of Fame. Roberta is currently involved with a very exciting studio venture — an interpretive album of Beatles’ classics.
- The Doughboys: Dynamic, hard-driving, explosive, bold and extremely magnetic, The Doughboys are creating a sensation in the Metro New York Area. With a mix of original compositions and remarkable cover versions of titles from The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream and The Animals as well as a song to appear in James Bond 23 set to premiere in 2011. The Doughboys give rise to a sensational musical experience.
- The Grip Weeds: Named as a tribute to the character portrayed by John Lennon in the 1967 film How I Won The War, The Grip Weeds specialty is Psychedelic Power Pop. The group performs many of their own original compositions, along with cover versions of songs by The Beatles and The Byrds. Their new Double CD, Strange Change Machine, was recently chosen as #1 pick by Al Kooper on his website, and their music has been played by “Little Steven” Van Zandt on his Sirius/XM Underground Garage Channel.
- The 253 Boys : The 253 Boys have produced theme music for Fox Soccer Channel and World Football Daily. They have received multiple ASCAP awards – one for their recent, original Rock Opera “New Day, No War”. The band is the perfect mixture of The Who’s raw power and The Clash’s hard edge.
- Lou Volpe: A genius of the guitar, Lou Volpe is a Master Impressionistic Jazz Stylist. Lou’s talent ranks with legendary guitarists Les Paul, Tal Farlow and Wes Montgomery. Lou has performed with Roberta Flack, Peggy Lee, Chaka Khan, Bo Diddley, Chet Baker, Liza Minnelli, Lionel Hampton, Manhattan Transfer and Herbie Hancock, among other musical luminaries.
- The Wyld Olde Souls : Classic Renaissance British Folk, original yet evocative of Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, The Wyld Olde Souls are a psychedelic folk group from New York City. 10 years in the making, their highly anticipated, full-length CD Ensoulment is set to be released in February 2011.
- Something: Deriving their name from George’s beloved song on Abbey Road, Something is unique as an all-acoustic Beatles Tribute Band. The four very dedicated and skilled musicians in the group present a pleasing and solid interpretation of George’s music and ideals. www.somethingtheband.com