Dark Comedy Diary of a Madman Back in NYC
After a successful off-Broadway run in New York and a special engagement at the Junction Theater in Dubai, Ilia Volok brings his award-winning solo show Diary of a Madman back to New York for a limited engagement at the American Theatre of Actors. Diary of a Madman centers on the life of Poprishchin, a low-ranking civil servant who yearns to be noticed by a beautiful woman, the daughter of a senior official, with whom he has fallen in love. His diary records his gradual slide into insanity. Nikolai Gogol's dark piece as reimagined by Ilia Volok portrays the average man's quest for individuality in a seemingly indifferent, urban city.
All offers for Diary of a Madman have expired.
The last date listed for Diary of a Madman was Sunday, Jul 22, 2018 / 3:00pm.
Quotes & Highlights
- “…A triumph of acting for Ilia Volok! … a performance of beauty and intensity.” — Front Row Center Arts
- “…Fervent and heartbreaking ingenuity of Ilia Volok’s performance…” — Local theatre NY
- “…Performed with consummate skill and precision by Ilia Volok.
…(a) tightrope act that comes off beautifully.” — Drama Queen Reviews
- “…Keeps the audience captivated and entertained throughout. It takes a great actor to bring that type of character to life and Mr. Volok deserves to be commended for his success in doing that.” — On Stage
- “… An absolute must-see, with a performance by Volok that is so riveting that as his insanity escalates, he maintains a powerful core that never dissipates … This talented actor takes on the adaptation, written by Nikolai Gogol, with an intense range of emotions, both scary and, at times, surprisingly tender." —Examiner.com
- “Volok delineates the delirium with a fierce yet finely modulated intensity…" — LA Weekly
- “… Diary of a Madman is a bold and unique actor’s showcase and a performance well worth attending.” — Lastagehappenings.com
- “… Poprishin played masterfully by Ilia Volok. Volok gives a powerful and commanding performance that this reviewer will long remember.” — Totaltheater.com