12th Annual Best of PlayGround Festival: An Evening of Short Plays at Thick House
* Additional fees apply.
All offers for 12th Annual Best of PlayGround Festival have expired.
The last date listed for 12th Annual Best of PlayGround Festival was Sunday May 25, 2008 / 8:00pm.
Currently at Thick House:
- Full Price:
- $30.00 - $50.00
- Our Price:
- COMP - $25.00
A modern-day fairy-tale mix-up, Sleeping Cutie concerns a crooked businessman who tries to find a love match for his only daughter while he waits a court's decision. While Lucy spends her days sleeping and nights in clubs pursuing her dream of becoming a rock drummer, her father attempts to get his affairs in order before getting locked up for his shady dealings. If he won't be around to take care of her, then he'd better find a man who will. Written by Diane Sampson with music from Doug Katsaros, this humorous take on Sleeping Beauty features a cast of quality Bay Area actors, including Jesse Caldwell as the father and Marissa Joy Ganz as Lucy. Learn More
Reviews & Ratings
star this review starred report as inappropriate
A very rich evening of theatre with lots of humor and depth. The performances at the Festival were much more polished than the Monday night staged readings. I enjoyed seeing each actor playing different roles. Direction was uniformly skilled.
Quotes & Highlights
- Opening Night (May 10) includes a post-show champagne reception with the artists.
- The Monday Night PlayGround series was a success with <a target="_blank" href="https://www.goldstar.com/events/berkeley-ca/monday-night-playground.html">Goldstar's members</a>, as were the Best of PlayGround Festivals for <a target="_blank" href="https://www.goldstar.com/events/san-francisco-ca/best-of-playground-festival.html">2007</a>, <a target="_blank" href="https://www.goldstar.com/events/san-francisco-ca/the-best-of-playground-festival.html">2006</a>, <a target="_blank" href="https://www.goldstar.com/events/san-francisco-ca/best-of-playground.html">2005</a>, and <a target="_blank" href="https://www.goldstar.com/events/san-francisco-ca/the-best-of-playground-festival-2004.html">2004</a>.
- "It's not just the playwrights who get a rush from the breakneck speed of PlayGround." --<em>San Francisco Chronicle</em>
- "You never know, maybe you can say you saw them when." --<em>SF Gate</em>
The Best of PlayGround Festival is an evening of seven short plays written by some of the Bay Area's hottest new playwrights. Performed and directed by top local talent, the short works are given full production to deliver what the Examiner calls, "As entertaining and thought-provoking as anything on stage at The City's major theaters these days." PlayGround selects these seven works out of the 36 produced throughout the Monday Night PlayGround season.
<p>O Happy Dagger by Crish Barth, directed by Tracy Ward
The Boy Who Did Not Listen To His Mother by Cass Brayton, directed by Nancy Carlin
Three Stories by Garret Jon Groenveld, directed by Lee Sankowich
Leo by Daniel Heath, directed by Jessica Heidt
Panopticon by Aaron Loeb, directed by Barbara Oliver
The Known World by Geetha Reddy, directed by Chris Smith
Giving Up The Ghost by Lauren Yee, directed by Jim Kleinmann</p> Ensemble: B.W. Gonzalez*, Christen Karle*, Anthony Nemirovsky*, Joseph O'Malley, Carla Pantoja, Adrian Roberts*, Ken Sonkin*
* Member, Actors' Equity Association