Bulgakov/Moliere: Satire of Stalinist Russia
* Additional fees apply. No coupon or promo codes necessary to enjoy the displayed discount price.
The last date listed for Bulgakov/Moliere was Sunday June 1, 2014 / 5:00pm.
Currently at City Garage at Bergamot Station Arts Center
- Full Price:
- Our Price:
- COMP - $12.50
Winner of the 2013 Obie Award for Best New American Play, Julia Jarcho's Grimly Handsome plays out… More
Quotes & Highlights
- “…a shrewd piece of writing that’s irresistibly stimulating and funny. Equal credit goes to a superlative ensemble and to the director, Michel, for bold, imaginative direction.” —Stage Raw
- “The show is whip smart and blessed with sumptuous production design, a wicked sense of humor and excellent principal players. As Molière, George Villas captures the artist intent on lampooning buffoons who’s here rendered both ridiculous and tragic by his passion for a young woman who (gulp) might also be his daughter.” —Jenny Lower, LA Weekly
- “Something of a grand synthesis of City Garage’s recent projects involving each playwright, this ambitious and handsome effort receives the full house trademark treatment under the direction of Frederique Michel, continuing to employ their well-attuned new digs at Bergamot as inspiration for more involved layers of action that can communicate greater dimension of themes. Following her singular theatrical vision adds nuance with each iteration of their variations on their established devices, always complemented by Duncombe’s felicitous set and lighting design.”—The Hollywood Reporter
- “Well you can’t fault City Garage for not being ambitious! Their latest world premiere is no less than epic. Under the banner Bulgakov/Moliere, company member Charles A. Duncombe has written a close to three-hour examination of state corruption, religious hypocrisy, gratuitous nudity, and for good measure the cowardice of the state.” —KCRW
This production contains nudity and limited use of water-based fog.